Review by Patrick Maina1 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Review by Patrick Maina1 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of nine in the We are Voulhire series. It is an incredibly intriguing science fiction and fantasy story set in the mythical kingdom of Voulhire.

Galen Bray, one of the major characters, travels from the Land of Princes to Magnum Caelum-a town under the great kingdom of Voulhire-with the aim of becoming the heir to his uncle's business. In the Lands of the Princes, where Galen came from, it was death by the sword or slow starvation. Indeed he barely remembers the time when he lived without war as it all started when he was a little boy. So when the opportunity to leave the wartorn land, Galen didn't even consider the details. Will he enjoy the peace and prosperity he yearns in Voulhire?

The story of Lord Eldus, a former judge in Soulhire, also develops. Appointed by King Wilhelm to put things right in Hillport, he has his duty clearly cut out. His predecessors Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath had unleashed unimaginable terror on the residents. At first, he faces rejection and had to do a lot to gain acceptance by the people. Just when everything starts working in his favor, an attack is lodged targeting his castle and the fifty families. Riva Rohavi's soldiers are out to finish them. Who will survive the bloody rage?

The author uses different points of view to tell his story. Galen Bray's story is the only one told from the first-person point of view. The stories of King Wilhelm, Midius, and Meldorath are told from the third-person point of view. You will love the way Tysz develops his plot. I particularly enjoyed the character of Lord Eldus and how hard he works to gain the people's trust. I also found the map at the beginning of the story very helpful. It gave the story a sense of authenticity. The question of Meldorath's death and his magical prowess made the story even more thrilling. The different realms of Caromentis created left me frightened.

I would give this book a four out of four rating because I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline. I found no major grammatical errors which made reading even more fun. The only thing I disliked about the text is the slow pace with which it starts. It took a lot of patience before I could finally enjoy reading the story. I would certainly recommend this book to lovers of politics,war, magic, and adventure. However, some scenes would not suit underage readers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

The book was really interesting, and I agree on how authentic the book is described to be.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

So far, I've loved every book by Matthew Tyz that I've run across. I'll be interested to see if Galen's adventures will keep me as enthralled. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Simonmuthee26
Currently Reading: Inside the Danger Zones
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simonmuthee26.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Simonmuthee26 »

Great review.. Another interesting book by Matthew Tyz

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”