Official Review: La Vida Segunda by Esther Escott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Official Review: La Vida Segunda by Esther Escott

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "La Vida Segunda" by Esther Escott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In La Vida Segunda, Esther Escott takes us to a beautiful part of nature in the Santa Cruz Mountains. In her story, the protagonist is Will, a surgeon who decides on early retirement after having survived a heart attack. He moves to a neglected cabin on land he and his late wife purchased many years ago. He gets to know his neighbors and becomes friendly with most of them: Jonas and Amy, a friendly and helpful young couple; Lydia, a painter who lives in unfortunate circumstances; Julia, a widow, and her young teenage son Manny; and several others.

Before Will moved to Santa Cruz, the area had already seen several murders. Not long after Will arrives, a new murder occurs. Will is in close contact with the deputy, trying to understand what happened and who could have done it. Will they be able to figure it out?

The reader already knows. From the beginning, the author describes everything as it happens. She includes several main characters’ thought processes, and as such, there is not a lot of suspense for the reader. This book gets its appeal from the writing style. Esther Escott paints a beautiful picture of the mountains and its vegetation. You feel like you are accompanying Will on his journey when he rediscovers the beauty of nature as he saw it many years ago. You feel the disappointment when he sees the neglected state of the cabin. You sense his motivation when he starts improving his living circumstances.

The best part for me was how I felt towards one of the essential characters of the book. At first, he seems like an amicable, helpful person, always putting other people’s needs first. Then he becomes human, even slightly unlikeable, after reading about specific actions and comments. Near the end of the story, I again have a completely different feeling towards this person. The author does a wonderful job of guiding the reader’s emotions.

I must admit that I was not entirely satisfied with the ending. It seems to be abrupt like the author wanted to tie up all loose ends in just a few pages. Therefore, I give this book three out of four stars. The book is very well edited. I found only one typo. I would recommend this book to readers who appreciate books about nature and remote living and books with profound character development. There is one scene with unconsented sexual activity. The author does not go into detail about the act itself. She does a great job describing the victim’s thought process after it happened, which may be unsettling for sensitive readers.

La Vida Segunda
View: on Bookshelves
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Youre review has been helpful. I'd like to think the book to be a good murder mystery. But its a disappointment that the plot wasnt the best part.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Thanks for the review. I'll pass on this one.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Not my type, anyway thank for the review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

This book seems to be one of those in-your-face-no-suspense book. I'd still like to read it if I have the time. Nice work!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems fascinating. I would like to read this. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

This book is amazing. I will try to read it. Tjanks for a nice and clean review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

This is a really in-depth review of the book. I will definitely add it to my shelf. Thanks
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a bit unusual for a crime novel as it's all explained, so there's no actual thriller or mystery but it's about everything around the events and characters. Interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a quite unique book, but I'm not a big of abrupt endings either. Thank you for this insightful review! :)
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”