Official Review: Suddenly Single by Miriam S. Russell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Suddenly Single by Miriam S. Russell

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Suddenly Single" by Miriam S. Russell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Suddenly Single: A Life After Death is a tragi-comedy written by Miriam S. Russell and published in 2018. The memoir is right under 250 Kindle edition pages, allowing a reader ample opportunity to feel as if they get to know the author fully while she shares her story. Although the memoir is written with many tragic occurrences, the author's humor is brilliant and shines throughout.

Miriam Russell is living a smooth and comfortable life- right up until the moment of sudden death for her beloved husband, Jim, at only 60-years-old. Middle-aged and suddenly alone after nearly 30 years of marriage, Miriam shares the experiences she endured while traveling around and trying to re-discover herself. Her ruminations range from potential new lovers, traveling alone for the first time, and experiencing an entirely new outlook on life, all while on the path of self-discovery.

It's difficult for me to imagine the grief that Miriam was experiencing- but with her well-expressed honesty while telling her story, I feel like I was able to comprehend the level of distraught loneliness she conveyed. Miriam has a likable personality and seems to be a respected member of her community and family. Her dedication to her family was prevalent. I was pleased to see that she finally decided to begin living for herself once she lost Jim by finding new things she enjoyed and ways to not only occupy her time but fill it with a sense of meaning.

While reading, I discovered a few, although very minor, grammatical errors that I should mention, such as, incorrect usage of was/with, "stars-truck" rather than "star-struck," and one minor misuse of punctuation. Although I do feel it's necessary to mention, a careful run-through with a thorough editor would swiftly correct any mishaps.

Despite the few errors I discovered while reading, I'm still more than happy to rate Suddenly Single: A Life After Death 3 out of 4 stars. My rating would change instantaneously to 4 stars with the editing corrections. Miriam's story is engaging, raw, and brutally honest throughout, which is something that I fully respect as a reader. My favorite thing about her memoir is how she is never ashamed to admit her own flaws and includes them in her story in order to best represent reality. I especially enjoyed the section where she mentions a few cringe-worthy dates she ventured on, never failing to point out just how wrong her judgment was on occasion with online dating.

Suddenly Single
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Her story seems to be full of inspiration as she unleashes ways she was able to triumph over the obstacles. Nice review.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

By reading the review it seems the book might have an interesting plot with rich emotions added in it. I really wish to read this book. I the review itself was a good one.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like an interesting and compelling memoir to read. I’m glad that the humour is well done too as it is always hard to read badly written humour.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

Recently, I've read a really good memoir of a strong woman who experienced some really sad situations, but was able to overcome it all. I'm glad this memoir seems to have all the same qualities. Thank you for recommending it!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a compelling memoir infused with humor and transparency. Thanks for the great review!
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Sounds like an outstanding memoir. The loss of a loved one after so many years together can be a trying time. I'm so glad she was able to find a way to keep on living her best life. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

No one best describe one's life as oneself.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

This one seems a good book. Good job.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Aww. This sounds to me like a bittersweet story I'd like to read.
Beautiful review.
Live and let live, baby.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”