Review by Sunnybydesign -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnybydesign
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnybydesign.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sunnybydesign -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Sunnybydesign »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first part of a fantasy series centered around a mystical land where all sorts of unfathomable things happen. Magic is used both as an instrument of good and evil, depending on who harbours it. The story involves royalty, regular civilians, as well as mages, who are the people able to channel magic.

The story begins with a journey taken by a young man, Galen, out of the Lands of the Princes, a widely known locale of civilian mistreatment and poverty. He travels to Voulhire, a distant land fabled to be one of splendor, beauty and prosperity. The place lives up to his expectations and he is awed by the magnificence of this foreign land. Galen’s life is fully transformed as he comes into the inheritance of his late uncle. The property, though not vast, was very appealing to Galen who had lived most of his life in desperation, scarcity and fear. He tries to learn how to take over his uncle’s ventures as a skilled blacksmith and is greatly assisted by Rowan, the executor of his uncle’s will, who also grows to become a friend.

Matthew Tysz, the author, also discusses other characters in the story such as the king and his subjects, both loyal and untrustworthy, and a great and evil wizard known as Meldorath, who is believed to be dead but also around whom a lot of fear and suspicion roams about. Different perspectives are discussed and one gets to understand the lay of the various lands as well as the characters, all varying in terms of status, location and challenges faced along their different paths.

I found this book very captivating. The author flawlessly sets the background of the story, describing in detail all the relevant as well as other additional pieces of information that help you as the reader to perfectly paint a picture of exactly what is happening in the story. He also builds up the various characters very well and has a way of getting the reader attached to them, making you very interested in knowing all about their journeys, the challenges they encounter and to find out if they succeed on their ventures.

I greatly enjoyed this book and would love to read the other books in the series as it ends at a cliffhanger which leaves one craving for more. I loved the author’s tone, humour and plot development. The book was professionally edited as I barely came across any errors. There is simply nothing I didn’t like about the book. Based on this, I felt We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies deserved a perfect rating of 4 out of 4. If you are a lover of fantasy or captivating fictional stories, this is the book for you. However, I would not recommend it for younger or more conservative audiences as the language used is a little strong and may contain profanity in some cases.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”