Review by Sou Hi -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by Sou Hi -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz follows the new life of Galen Bray. In his homeland, Galen had been living in war and fear for twenty years. As a result, when a chance to flee came, he took it without a second thought. Here in Magnum Caelum, everything was different: People laughed, there's food, and he had inherited his great uncle's belongings. Galen even found a friend, though it's unsure if this mate was trustworthy. Truthfully, his life had taken a 180-degree change.

However, life was never easy. While Voulhire was not like Galen's land, it also was not a peaceful country as it may appear. Underneath the mask, dark secrets laid quietly, awaiting an opportunity to resurface. The rumor about Meldorath, the most fearsome mage, was constantly mentioned. The King had been trying to suppress the gossip, but what this mage did still haunted everyone, especially the coastal town once reigned by Meldorath.

To fix the town, the King sent one of his men, one he could trust. True to his King's faith, Lord Eldus Alderman was a gracious man who wished for Hillport's reform. He even tried to look into the former lords' matter to ease the pain left in his people's hearts. Still, the more he discovered, the more it surprised him and dragged him closer to danger. Would he abandon the town to save his life, or would he fight against Meldorath?

I like this book's style the most. It flows seamlessly with the lives of the principal characters and their personalities being portrayed nicely. As a victim of the war, Galen is humble but somewhat silly, since his main concern was survival. He doesn't know how to deal with people, so it's good that he has an assistant by his side. Meanwhile, Eldus is truly a kind-hearted man. His care for his people's happiness is sincere and unquestionable. The suspense is totally great. You will be met with many twists and turns that will leave you in awe throughout the book. The scenes are very visual and vivid. The plots of the Mianora Council and Meldorath are fantastic as well. You will find yourself itching to know what will happen next. It's really a page-turner.

However, the ending is a little sad for those who love good people. Since this is just the first book of the series, I guess the protagonist is officially determined by that ending. The beginning of the story is a bit confusing, so I suggest you use the reference guide provided by the author first. The glossary will help you understand the universe of Voulhire. The profane words can be seen occasionally, so those who are sensitive may not like that. In addition, you may not enjoy the massacre either. Still, this is a great Sci-Fi/Fantasy book for the fans of these genres.

I will give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It's because the book is good and professionally edited with only a few grammar errors. The minus points mentioned above are minor, so the book deserves this rating.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

What a lovely review! Yes, the ending was very sad. I wish for some retribution. However, I still don't know who the villain is.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
RaiJoh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RaiJoh »

Reading this review just made me want to read the book right this instant!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I have read all the parts of this book and I am satisfied with the review.
Good job!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 14:37 What a lovely review! Yes, the ending was very sad. I wish for some retribution. However, I still don't know who the villain is.
Thanks for commenting. I've just finished the 2nd book. Meldorah the Big boss is back with more killings, but a minor bad guy also appears. I wonder if they will team up in the sequels. The Mianoran Council does not present in the 2nd book, but I start to think the King may not be totally a good guy either.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

RaiJoh wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 14:43 Reading this review just made me want to read the book right this instant!
Thank you. If you are a fan of SF or Fantasy, you should give it a try. The book is quite short (less than 200 pages) so it won't tire you out.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 20:35 I have read all the parts of this book and I am satisfied with the review.
Good job!
Thank you. I have just finished reviewing the 2nd book and on my way to the 3rd one :)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Nice and a descriptive review for a very nice sci-fi fantasy
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and also it’s second part. I enjoyed it. Great review!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I am currently reading this book. Good review!
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I am currently reading this book. Good review!
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Sushan wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 22:43 Nice and a descriptive review for a very nice sci-fi fantasy
Thank you for your opinion.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 05:54 I’ve read this book and also it’s second part. I enjoyed it. Great review!
Thank you. I've just reviewed the second book too. But the 3rd book is kind of gloomy as Voulhire is facing major changes.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

LuciusM wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 06:44 I am currently reading this book. Good review!
Thanks for your reply. This series is quite well-crafted though the books' length are shorter than normal.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Nice review, Sou Hi . Appreciate.
Yes, the book deserves 4/4 rating, as your review too agree to that!
I did the same :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”