Review by EmmaZ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by EmmaZ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by EmmaZ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book in Matthew Tysz’s highly promising series We are Voulhire. When the king appoints Lord Eldus as the new leader of Hillport, a quiet town in the kingdom of Voulhire, he finds that guaranteeing its prosperity is the least of his problems. During their short reign, the town’s previous leaders, Lord Orlin and General Meldorath left the townspeople afraid and on edge. They even doubt whether General Meldorath has genuinely died. Lord Eldus takes it upon himself to visit every child in Hillport upon whom Lord Orlin conducted some disturbing experiments, offering his unconditional support to both victims and families. As Lord Eldus’s sincerity gradually wins the trust of the people, they begin to relax and welcome him as their leader.

At the same time, young Galen Bray departs his homeland, the Land of the Princes, on a ship bound for Magnum Caelum, also in the kingdom of Voulhire. He is on his way to collect his inheritance from an unknown and recently deceased uncle. The executor of the will, Rowan, turns out to become not only a great help but also a friend who helps him to pick up the basics of his uncle’s blacksmith business.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I found it easy to familiarize myself with each of the characters, and I took a great liking to Galen Bray’s kind and easygoing personality. I liked how well developed their world was, and, I didn’t find it at all difficult to understand how this society operated. The author portrays both the Land of the Princes and the Kingdom of Voulhire in great detail, generating atmosphere and adding depth to the plot.

For me, the only thing that I found lacking was the presence of well developed female characters. We do get to meet Lord Eldus’s wife and daughter, but they barely had any lines and didn’t add to the story. I feel that more complex female role models in future instalments would make the series appeal to a wider audience.

That said, I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and found it impossible to put down until the very end. As such, I am very excited to see how the story continues in the sequel. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t come across any grammatical errors or typos, and along with the excellent quality of the dialogue, this book gives the impression of being professionally edited. I think this would be a suitable read for lovers of fantasy and fiction, but I’m sure that everyone would enjoy it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I loved your summary, nice and concise. Good job with the review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. On the contrary, I like the fact that there's no heroine. After too many cliche books, this one is truly refreshing and exotic with its bromance. For books featuring a couple, we can easily guess what will happen to them and the story. But this series is full of twists and mysteries, which is quite appealing.
Neisha0924
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neisha0924 »

I love the summary, the entire time reading I stayed engaged!! I could see this being sold out fast . Great on the way it was formatted way to go .
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

It was easy to familiarize with the characters, especially Glen's naivety. Nice review!
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

I enjoyed this book as well the review, your review made justice to this book. Thanks for sharing this

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”