Review by Chikom -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Chikom -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Chikom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book in the series. The setting of the book is in Virko, a Voulhiran city that is the center of industry in the Kingdom of Voulhire. As in the previous book, there is a vital map to help the reader picture the geographical location of Virko. This book digs more into the history of Virko and reasons for its prosperity.

Galen Bray travels north of Virko in the company of his friends, Rowan and Demetrius. They are on a mission to acquire a supply of iron from the Voulhiran industrial hub to jumpstart the development of his town, Magnum Caelum. Galen realises that they are in Virko for more than just what they had come. Their stay in Virko would be a bit longer than planned because something more sinister and demonic is about to happen.

I liked this book because it is full of magic as the last. The author made this book more interesting by introducing new forms of magic. Gaslighting plays out as something people are not aware of as a trick. There is also a church in the book that has a Carnem Relay, a device that detects any spell cast within a thousand miles! The introduction of new types of magic made the book more interesting because each one of them is thrilling. The incorporation of new concepts with previous ones brought harmony in the story.

There are two things in We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko that I didn’t like. First, I came across one grammatical error. Although it did not interfere with me enjoying the book, it irritated me since the previous book had no errors. Secondly, the inconsistencies with the time of the setting caused by the tandem bicycles in the streets of Yamon Soul were not appealing to me.

The character development of Galen as one of the main characters carried over from the previous book was fabulous. He immigrates from the dangerous Land of Princes to Voulhire, where he strived to survive. Unfamiliar with people-watching when he first arrived in Voulhire, little by little, the peaceful new environment offers him time to read others and process social situations. He later in the story successfully casts a spell for the first time in his life!

The book is well-edited because I only encountered a single error, which was a simple typo and did not affect the flow of the book. For this reason, I give this book four out of four stars. The author did an impeccable job. He used simple English, and the book was void of erotic content. I recommend this book to lovers of adventure, action, and politics. For those who have already read, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, this is a must-read book for the continuation of the We are Voulhire series. But if you have not read We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, which is the first title, make sure you read it if you want to read about Virko.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”