Official Review: The Master Builder by Gillian Leggat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Official Review: The Master Builder by Gillian Leggat

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Master Builder" by Gillian Leggat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Master Builder, written by Gillian Leggat, is a children’s book that narrates the story of a boastful king who wants to force his supremacy on his subjects. This overconfident tyrant, King Puffed, is eager to prove that he is the greatest king in the world, and so he sends soldiers into his kingdom to ask his subjects a simple question.

“Do you think King Puffed is the wisest and most brilliant and cleverest king who ever lived?”

Subjects who answer correctly will be greatly rewarded, and anyone who answers wrongly will face dire consequences. As such, every subject the soldiers meet answers affirmatively to the question, mostly out of fear. However, the soldiers come across a little girl who is not afraid to say the truth. She knows only one answer to the question, and the soldiers will not like it. So what happens now? Will this little girl have to face terrible consequences for saying the truth? You have to read the book to find out.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Master Builder, as the storyline was simple and engaging, and I was entertained throughout. From the perspective of kids, they will definitely enjoy following the storyline and finding out what happens at the end. Further, the language used was simple and easy to understand, which is perfect for kids.

The one thing I liked most was how the author named the characters. The names sounded so silly and childlike to me that I giggled every time I mentioned them. I can even imagine kids laughing at the names of King Puffed and Mr. Squashed, and so I commend the author for choosing fun names for the characters.

Nevertheless, I had a few issues with the book. I did not find the illustrations to be engaging, as they looked dull and unappealing to me. For a children’s book, I would have loved to see more colorful and engaging pictures. Also, I felt that the ending of the book was rather abrupt, as I enjoyed the pace of the story until things were quickly wrapped up at the end.

Considering the aforementioned points, I rate The Master Builder 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a full rating because of the issues mentioned above. I believe the book was exceptionally edited, as I found no errors in it. Lastly, I would recommend it to kids between the ages of four and eight.

The Master Builder
View: on Bookshelves
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The underlying moral lesson is very appealing. I'm glad that the author saw it fit to teach children about honesty no matter the consequences.
Thank you for the review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This sounds like a children's version of the story of Daniel in the Bible 😊 The names of the characters are really hilarious, too bad that illustrations were a disappointment...

Thanks for a very nice review, good job!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I liked the suspense in your review. It was catchy. These are the types of book I read when I was a child. It sounds really okay.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

What a fun book! And surely that little girl will be okay in the end. Maybe she motivates the king to change his ways? Thanks for a great review.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

The naming of the characters undoubtedly describes the roles and characteristics of each character. Nice review.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

What a great lesson for a children's book to teach! I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

Btw, I love the quote in your signature.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Even though there are some flaws, I would like to tead the book.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

I think the lesson all comes down to pride, the king was all puffed up with it and so goes his name King Puffed. I think the book is quite fun to read. Great review and yes, it could have even been more fun with colorful illustrations.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Looks like this is a nice book for kids. But sorry to know that the illustrations were not very appealing. I think attractive illustrations are important in children’s books. Your review is great! Thanks.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I would like to know if the girl said the truth and what were the consequences, very interesting book. Great review Elvis.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I hope the innocence of the girl teaches the king a lesson. This story reminds me of The Emperor's New Clothes. Awesome review as usual!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Quite an interesting title for a children's book. It made me curious about it. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed reading it.

Return to “Children's Books”