Review by Fae Liesl Enchantee -- We are Voulhire: A New ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Review by Fae Liesl Enchantee -- We are Voulhire: A New ...

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born in a land full of greed, poverty, and power-hungry monarchs, Galen yearned to set sail and get out of the wretched Land of the Princes. However, the life he longed for is an impossible dream for he has no money, and there’s no other way to get out of the island aside from a ship that sails once in a few months. But a new hope blossomed in his heart when a man came to him with a paper that could take him to his uncle in Voulhire, the magnificent land full of opportunity and prosperity.

The beautiful kingdom of Voulhire, ruled by King Wilhelm, has begun its golden age. The laughter of children and the merry chatter of the workers can be heard in any part of the kingdom. But beneath all the prosperity and festivities, hide the threat of a powerful mage only the King and his advisers know. As the King gets more and more preoccupied protecting the kingdom from a mage, and keeping an eye to those who challenged him, Riva Rohavi, a fallen kingdom from the war five years ago, starts to build up and strengthen its force. Would the great kingdom of Voulhire continue to thrive and defeat all those threats? Or would it perish and enter the darkest age the land has ever known?

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under the Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first installment to a series composed of nine books. This first book serves as an introduction to how the main protagonist, Galen, ended up in the kingdom of Voulhire. All the scenes leading up to the start of the war are also included in this book.

The author, Matthew Tysz, wrote this book in the most interesting way possible. I loved how he made this book with alternating perspectives, which shows the reader what goes into the main protagonist’s mind and all the things happening in different parts of the kingdom. The visuals instilled in the reader’s mind are also marvelous. All the magical, beautiful, and scary descriptions are well depicted, and I could actually empathize with the main character’s childlike ignorance throughout the book. I really liked the author’s choice of words. The words he used are aesthetically pleasing, it’s not too deep, but the reader might need a dictionary by their side when reading this novel.

The only thing I can complain about in this book is the lack of information about the other alternate universe called Caromentis. I wish the author spent more time introducing the other world since this book is all about introducing the main parts of the series.

I did not find any grammatical errors and wrong spellings. The use of profanity is slightly too often, but it didn't bother me. There are many sexual innuendos, but there are no erotic scenes.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I really loved how the author thought of writing this first book as a way of introducing the plot of the series instead of just jumping into war immediately like what the other authors do.

I would recommend this to everyone who loves thrilling stories, which consist of war, magic, and adventure. You are in for a great treat with this book! On the other hand, I would not recommend this to people who cannot commit and has a short attention span. This series consists of nine books, and reading just this first book will only leave you craving for more of this story. I also don’t recommend this to people with a heart attack. The author is too good at describing scenes, especially the killing scenes.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Oh, yeah—the Caromentis. I also would be interested to know more about it. The book was nice overall to me. Thanks for the review!
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

The plot is very intriguing and I'm glad that I read this book, it was worth my time. This review sounds interesting thanks!
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

I might consider this for my next read. It sounds so suspenseful and amazing. Thanks for the review.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”