Official Review: When North Becomes South by Becky Bronson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: When North Becomes South by Becky Bronson

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When North Becomes South" by Becky Bronson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How much do you rely on technology? What would you do if you suddenly couldn't use your stove or coffee maker? What if you couldn't simply go to the store to buy food? Would you be resourceful enough to survive?

These are the realities Laurie, Stan, and the rest of the world face in When North Becomes South by Becky Bronson. The magnetic poles are shifting; eventually, radiation will make most of the world uninhabitable. While this isn't due to happen for many years, a superstorm devastates the world causing widespread power outages. How will the world cope without power?

The story is written in the third person perspective and follows multiple characters. The shift is clearly delineated at the beginning of each section; therefore, the reader is never confused. In a situation where there's no long-distance communication, this is really the only way to see the entire picture.

Though the apocalyptic fiction genre is oversaturated, this book is unique. I've seen the world end by a comet, by a new ice age, by an EMP, and by mass hysteria. The magnetic poles shifting causing radiation? Not so much.

I appreciated the thought-provoking nature of the book. Themes such as materialism, over-reliance on technology, and teamwork contribute to this provocative story. I finished the book wondering if this could actually happen, when, and how I would react, all of which are worth pondering.

Also worth mentioning, this book is more a series of vignettes rather than a timeline of events from start to finish. The author starts with ten years before the superstorm and moves to one year before. She gives us the day of the storm and the day after, but she jumps from six months after immediately to four years after. This served to shorten the book, yet at times I felt the plot moved too fast. I wanted more of the day to day details of how each character coped with having to scavenge for food and supplies. I didn't feel the author took quite enough time to show the despair of the characters and the more negative side of humanity during a worldwide crisis. Perhaps this would be a positive for those that don't like books that are too dark.

In addition, the book needed to be more carefully edited. I found a number of errors such as words running together, names spelled wrong, and missing words. Though not plentiful, they were egregious enough to notice easily, and there were more than ten.

Due to the grammatical errors and underdeveloped characters and situations, I rate When North Becomes South 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the story to all who enjoy the apocalyptic genre. The book seems especially geared toward young adults, especially those of high school age as there is some minor profanity. If you like more of the day to day happenings and less of a high overview, you might want to look elsewhere.

When North Becomes South
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I like the questions that you ask in this review. I can do without the coffee maker since I don't drink coffee. However, I have been thinking about the dependence on the electrical stove and gardening more recently. Thanks for the review!
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Thrive the question you raised in your review. Indeed, how would I cope without the things that seemingly make life easier. Excellent review, well done.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Nice summary. It's a story I would love to read.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Magnify3 wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 12:41 I like the questions that you ask in this review. I can do without the coffee maker since I don't drink coffee. However, I have been thinking about the dependence on the electrical stove and gardening more recently. Thanks for the review!
It's definitely much more than our dependence on coffee makers. There's so much that we don't think about. How about just our dependence on going to the store for our food! It's a lot to think about. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kola+wole wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 16:05 Thrive the question you raised in your review. Indeed, how would I cope without the things that seemingly make life easier. Excellent review, well done.
Humanity usually finds a way. I can't deny it would be extremely difficult, though. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Teele wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 16:57 Nice summary. It's a story I would love to read.
I hope that you can find time for it! It was interesting for sure. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I don't think can hold on to all this sudden change, seems great book , it's a must read for me
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

The book reminds me of some series Revolution. I'd like to actually see how many days humans would pay without technology. Nice review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Without power activities are paralyzed. The concept in the story seems to leave the reader in a state of self-reflection about how they'd react if the story were a reality. I've never tried apocalyptic genre. I might start with this one. Thank you for your well-organised and informative review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

The questions you presented are extremely thought-provoking. Great review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This book presents an interesting scenario. Like you mentioned in your excellent commentary, I could not imagine my life without all the technological comforts I enjoy.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Good to see that this novel offers some food for thought for young adults as with apocalyptic books there's always the risk of a trite story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

I'm sure I could survive without technology like stoves... But, if I suddenly wake up and the stores are gone that would be a real scare. I foresee panic and chaos. Given a timeframe, yes, I'd the able to make my home self sufficient. Book sounds like a gem. Gets one thinking about all the things we take for granted like cellphones breaking all geographical boundaries. I really would like to read this book. Thanks for the review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

How much do you rely on technology? What would you do if you suddenly couldn't use your stove or coffee maker? What if you couldn't simply go to the store to buy food? Would you be resourceful enough to survive?
I doubt I could answer yes to any of these questions. I enjoyed reading your review also. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”