Official Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS" by Laura Moss White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS: Substitute Teaching Cartoons from Real Life, author Laura Moss White takes readers on an educational adventure. With 15 years of her life spent substitute teaching grades K-12, she experienced many memorable moments worth sharing. Readers will encounter a humorous variety of black-and-white comic squares featuring scenes of tantalizing gossip, acts of favoritism, territorial tantrums, and frustrations with Administration.

Pre-dawn phone calls often have substitute educators awaking frantic and frazzled; then they arrive to realize they’re subbing for a group field trip that’s already been loaded onto the bus. Secretaries exhibit no patience for confusion, and teaching assistants do little more than point out the biggest rabble-rousers and misfits in the mix. There are indecipherable lesson plans, art class disasters, disgruntled regulars in the break room, and devilish students with fiery agendas.

Since part-time subs are ineligible for benefits, this often labels them as “the beggars of the district,” and they’re often left feeling like aliens amongst peers. Older male teachers sometimes make unwelcome and suggestive innuendos, and some of the male students are guilty of making them too. The principals can be tough, and the students judgmental, but calling the on-site security officer for assistance is always an (ill-advised) option.

One of the neatest features of this particular title is that it has also been designed to serve as a coloring book! Each scene depiction is lettered in all caps, following the style of traditional comic strips. Broad character classifications are easily discernible by the presence of neck lanyards that either read “TEACHER” or “SUB.” The author credits Caitlin Skaalrud for providing the 60 drawings that brought her classroom experiences to life. I appreciated seeing the inclusion of subtle background details like an inspirational cat poster, apples, chalkboards, some undeniable unibrows, and plenty of anxious and bloodshot eyes.

I enjoyed the genuine authenticity of the content and comical reflections like how if you sub at a different school each day, you can get away with wearing the same outfit all week. My favorite illustration featured a chaotic PE playground run amok with escaping students, unbridled hyperactivity, cell phone use, and underage smooching. The grammatical errors were minimal, but I did encounter one misplaced possessive apostrophe and two instances of missing hyphenation. Beyond those imperfections, there was nothing I disliked.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has had firsthand experience in the classroom. There is no presence of bad language or outrageously mature content, so it is also appropriate for all audiences. There are some instances of crass humor (e.g., the implication that happy teachers must be on antidepressants), so sensitive readers might not find all of the content equally amusing. For substitute educators who have ever felt unwelcome at staff Christmas parties, the feeling is common.

I enthusiastically award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The author dedicates this book of humorous snapshots to “the brave, hardworking, and underappreciated men and women who keep the schools’ classrooms running when teachers are absent.” The next time they get directed to the back of the parking lot, or come under fire from paper airplanes, they can always consider just showing a movie during class. After all, they won’t be there for long.

Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems interesting and also informative. I would definitely want to read this one. Thanks for your wonderful review.
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

Ha! I have always thought being a substitute teacher would be an extremely important position for a school to function, but I never considered how difficult it really is. This book sounds like a window into this challenging profession that would be an entertaining read. Thanks for your well written review!
AvidBibliophile

Honest-reviewer wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 13:08 This book seems interesting and also informative. I would definitely want to read this one. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Interesting and informative always make a greatly entertaining pair! This one was enjoyable indeed, and oh so accurate. Thanks for the kind words!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 13:48 Ha! I have always thought being a substitute teacher would be an extremely important position for a school to function, but I never considered how difficult it really is. This book sounds like a window into this challenging profession that would be an entertaining read. Thanks for your well written review!
Substitute teachers are an essential part of any academic district, yet they must exist in a foreign and prickly world that is never fully welcoming (or accommodating). Great respect for subs everywhere! :apple:
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

This book will give us an enlightenment towards the struggles of our educators. This seems very interesting, nice review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
AvidBibliophile

Miks_solon wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 01:20 This book will give us an enlightenment towards the struggles of our educators. This seems very interesting, nice review.
The struggle is real! It definitely opened my eyes to the hurdles substitute teachers must regularly face. Thanks so much for the enlightening feedback! :book:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

This book sounds vey unique. I commend the author for writing this book to shed light on the situation of educators. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
AvidBibliophile

Elvis Best wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 03:31 This book sounds vey unique. I commend the author for writing this book to shed light on the situation of educators. Great review!
It contained so many uniquely humorous scenes and quips! The illustrated depictions were quite comical. I applaud teachers everywhere for the tireless efforts they make in the pursuit of educating our youth. It can’t possibly be an easy task. :apple: Thank you!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great book that can remind every reader of his or her school years :) Would definitely give this one a try! Thanks for a great review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Oh, my! I am a subsitute teacher... I primarily do long-term jobs but used to do mostly single day jobs. I can't imagine some of the things described above. Other teachers, principals, secretaries, and assistants have always been helpful. And never has a male teacher been unprofessional! I just can't imagine...
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 08:09 Sounds like a great book that can remind every reader of his or her school years :) Would definitely give this one a try! Thanks for a great review!
Oh the classroom memories... It was entertaining for sure, and I loved seeing all the frazzled facial expressions of the various staff members and students! Thanks for stopping by.
AvidBibliophile

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 08:22 Oh, my! I am a subsitute teacher... I primarily do long-term jobs but used to do mostly single day jobs. I can't imagine some of the things described above. Other teachers, principals, secretaries, and assistants have always been helpful. And never has a male teacher been unprofessional! I just can't imagine...
I’m relieved to know that your subbing experiences have been primarily positive ones! I think there’s a strong possibility that some of these re-enacted scenes hearken back to the 90s, but there’s probably great variation among different districts too. It was an eye-opening comic collection for sure! Thanks for sharing your personal impressions and viewpoints too. I appreciate all that you do to help educate burgeoning young minds! ✴️:apple:
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Your analysis of the book is very comprehensive. It allowed me to glimse through the stylistic devices, thematic concerns and the background details that have been included in the book. I enjoy reading your reviews.
Great work!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I enjoyed reading your review. I know whom I have to recommend this book to. Good job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”