Review by Wy_Bertram -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Review by Wy_Bertram -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Wy_Bertram »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a distant uncle reaches out with an invitation, Galen Bray is all too ready to abandon his war-torn homeland and embark on a voyage to a better life. Compared to the Land of the Princes, Voulhire promises an almost unbelievable relief from all the chaos and hardship Galen has had to endure for all his life. But just as he begins to fall in love with his new home, a plot of destruction begins to unravel. The powerful and power-hungry would see Voulhire trampled for their ambitions, and Galen’s so-believed promised land is about to become just another war zone.

The first in the We are Voulhire series, A New Arrival under Great Skies does an impeccable job of introducing the reader to the characters, the worlds, and what promises to be a truly exciting storyline ahead.

The author’s decision to write Galen’s point of view in first person, while the other characters’ remained in third person, kept the focus on the main character even though his storyline would only barely interact with the main plot. It gave the novel a sense of movement, its different parts progressing individually towards that epic point of climatic convergence.

In total, Matthew Tysz seemed to have a handle on his craft, except at those points when he appeared to write the story in a time that was a mesh of past and present.

I feel the author tried to create a unique era that was old enough for a fantasy novel, but modern enough to feature “gyms” and “workout clothes,” and that ended up not working out most of the time. Going forward, the author certainly needs to work on creating a more coherent timeline because so far, these distinctions are bit jarring and difficult not to notice.

Regardless, I still completely enjoyed this book. My experience with introductory first novels like this is that they usually rely too heavily on either the plot or the characters, but what Matthew Tysz offers is a whole novel in itself, readable in a few sittings.

Some things to note before reading, however; profanity, and other crass language, though used in moderation, are present. There are also some sexual references, including instances about child sexual abuse that might set some readers off. These are only transient mentions, but worth noting in any case. Therefore, I only recommend this book to readers sixteen and above, and even then, personal discretion is key.

I did not find enough errors to warrant a penalty, so my rating of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies remains a 4 out of 4.

If you enjoy fantasy, myths and legends, some mystery, and classic warfare, then this series might be just for you.

Happy reading.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Thanks for an awesome review! The book seems interesting.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’m currently reading this book and I’m loving it. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Wy_Bertram
Currently Reading:

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 04:50 I’m currently reading this book and I’m loving it. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Thanks for stopping by.
Wy_Bertram
Currently Reading:

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Miks_solon wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 02:03 Thanks for an awesome review! The book seems interesting.
It really is. Thank you for the comment.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

I also enjoy fantasy and myths.I love the way you simplified the plot summary.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I greee this book has the fantasy, myths and mystery. It is great read.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

It was amazing you had a wonderful first experience like I did. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”