Official Review: Unforgettable Leadership

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Official Review: Unforgettable Leadership

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unforgettable Leadership" by Sherry Yellin, PHD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Take a moment to recall the leader in your life who has made the most positive impact on you. This can be a teacher, boss, coach, mentor, parent, etc. Now, recall what they did to make themselves such a great leader. Recall the wonderful thing(s) they were able to lead you to achieve. Do you want to be that person for someone else?

In Sherry Yellin, PHD's Unforgettable Leadership, readers are shown seven principles (challenge, relevance, action, novelty, interaction, using emotions, and multiple intelligences) for creating an ideal "CRANIUM culture," aka a "brain-friendly environment." A "brain-friendly environment" is simply an environment in which the brain can function at its best. Of course, the author understands that everyone is wired a bit differently, and she accounts for that throughout the book.

When we establish an environment, for both ourselves and those we lead (and it's arguable that everyone is a leader in some way), that is conducive to a higher performing brain, we open the door for a healthy, enjoyable, innovative community. Doesn't that sound like a pleasant way to work?

My favorite things about this book, apart from some of the content itself, are as follows: the organizational style, the way the author teachers through stories, the summary at the end, and the conversational tone that's implemented throughout. Each chapter begins with an anecdote (which is revisited at the end of the chapter) that portrays a culture where the principle under discussion is not being implemented. I love these anecdotes because I found them to be highly relatable. Each one I read made me think: "Yup, I've been there." Readers are then given an overview of the principle that will be explored. This is followed by a self-reflection activity (and you can write right in the book!), an explanation on how the principle affects the brain, and ways the reader can apply the principle. Additionally, the text is flooded with references, indicating that the author has done a lot of research. At the end of the book, the author recaps each principle. I especially appreciated this section, as this book is dense with content (and felt a little overwhelming at times). Finally, I loved the way the author made me feel like we were having a conversation. Her voice and humor are presented in ways that really enhance the readability of the text.

There's just one thing I disliked about this book: the author claims that creating an optimal "CRANIUM culture" isn't hard to do. I feel this may be true once the culture is established; however, the culture the author describes is very detailed. I believe it would take some serious work and practice (though all for a good cause) to build this ideal environment.

With everything in mind, I believe this book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. I found very few grammatical errors throughout, most of which were typos and spacing issues, so I certainly think this was professionally edited. Additionally, I don't consider my personal dislike to be enough evidence to justify the removal of a star.

This book contains absolutely no profanity or erotic content. However, I feel this read is more suited for adults, particularly those looking to lead their team (however big that team may be) to the next level.

Unforgettable Leadership
View: on Bookshelves
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The book seems quite informative and interesting. I definitely want to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

This seems like a very informative book filled with original content. I would definitely like to read this at some stage. Thanks for the review.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Thank you for your detailed and insightful review. I would love to explore the theories this author puts forward. Thank you for your recommendation.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

The concept of creating an environment that is "brain-friendly" is fascinating. I think that by theory, it is "easy" to create such an environment. But if we were to apply this concept in reality, we have to consider its practicalities. Thank you for your insightful review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the informative and insightful review. I really want to know what this book holds for the readers.
Adrianna Melillo

Honest-reviewer wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 03:41 The book seems quite informative and interesting. I definitely want to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
There are definitely a lot of interesting bits scattered throughout. I hope you enjoy it!
Adrianna Melillo

Misty20058 wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 05:25 This seems like a very informative book filled with original content. I would definitely like to read this at some stage. Thanks for the review.
It is very informative and the author provides a lot of original/entertaining anecdotes. I hope you enjoy it!
Adrianna Melillo

Vic Chimezie wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 15:28 Thank you for your detailed and insightful review. I would love to explore the theories this author puts forward. Thank you for your recommendation.
She certainly makes a lot of good points. I hope you enjoy it!
Adrianna Melillo

aaurba wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 00:58 The concept of creating an environment that is "brain-friendly" is fascinating. I think that by theory, it is "easy" to create such an environment. But if we were to apply this concept in reality, we have to consider its practicalities. Thank you for your insightful review!
I completely agree. Thank you for reading!
Adrianna Melillo

Priyanka2304 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 01:19 Thanks for the informative and insightful review. I really want to know what this book holds for the readers.
There are certainly a lot of great takeaways. I hope you enjoy it!
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

I'll pass on this one, but nice review :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I remember a number of leaders who have made significant impact in my life. :)

Based on your thorough and detailed review, the book sounds informative but not too uptight with its conversational and humorous tone. Thank you for this wonderful review, Adrianna Melillo :)
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

This must be a good book for leaders and aspiring ones.
Greats tips on effective leadership.
Thanks for the good review.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Leadership is one of those topics that books are yet to exhaust.Much has been written but there is more to say.I must read this.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”