Official Review: Little Lost Socks by DeeAnn Schumacher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Little Lost Socks by DeeAnn Schumacher

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Lost Socks" by DeeAnn Schumacher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The last thing Pendrell the Superhero Sock can remember is spinning in the dryer, but he has suddenly found himself in an unfamiliar new land, surrounded by other socks who are strangers to him. He soon learns that he is in the Land of Lost Socks, where all socks go when they have lost their mate. Pendrell and the other new arrivals are greeted by Wool Sock. He takes them on a tour of the Land of Lost Socks, where socks live as if in a fairytale. At the end of the tour, Pendrell will have to make a tough decision. Does he want to return home or stay in the Land of Lost Socks forever?

Little Lost Socks by DeeAnn Schumacher is a cute children’s story that answers the age-old question: where do socks go when they get lost in the dryer? Pendrell and his new friends explore a world reminiscent of Candyland, where gumball balloons float through the air and the roads are made from taffy. The author creatively explains how each type of sock has its own place in the new land. Argyle socks work the office jobs, cashmere socks spend their time golfing, and crew socks work the construction jobs.

The pictures in the book are delightful. They are full-page illustrations with a whimsical, watercolor feel. They really help accentuate the fairytale feeling of the Land of Lost Socks. The book is written in prose. The language is very clear and the vocabulary is appropriate for children. The book appears professionally edited, as I didn’t notice any errors.

The only area where I found this book lacking was in the message. As I was reading through the book, I found myself admiring the creativity but wondering what the author’s point was. The story does not have any overtly religious content, but it is dedicated to Jesus Christ. I wondered if maybe the story is an allegory for death and Heaven. At one point the author explains that change can be scary but also positive. I think the book is on the right track for getting this message across, but focusing more on the characters and their emotions throughout their tour, rather than just listing facts about the Land of the Lost Socks, would make it easier for kids to identify with Pendrell and understand the lesson.

Overall, there is a lot to like about Little Lost Socks. The pictures and descriptions in the book will easily spark a child’s interest and imagination. I think with a little tweaking in the messaging, the book could be perfect. For now, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it for children ages 3-7, and I think early elementary schoolers could read this book themselves with some adult help.

Little Lost Socks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a lovely children's book with vivid illustrations :) Can be a great gift for a young reader. Thank you for this insightful review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I've never really given much thought to where all my missing sock(s) went too, including my current, favorite bedtime socks that recently, mysteriously disappeared😪.
I think it's hilarious but heartwarming that they might be in a cozy dreamland😄. I hope my ash socks choose to come back to me, or, more realistically, that whoever took them returns them to me🙄.
I think the message of this book might be to make the reader, most likely a child, optimistic about the fate of his or her missing sock(s). Ridiculous, I know.😄
I enjoyed reading this review. And I'd love to read this cute book.
Live and let live, baby.
Boyboy2134
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Boyboy2134 »

Sounds like a lovely children's book with vivid illustrations :) Can be a great gift for a young reader. Thank you for this insightful review!
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

The question of where all the lost socks are has been a curiosity for me for a long time... This review makes me think that this book would be a great gift for a young reader. Thanks for the amazing review.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I absolutely love the concept of a land of lost socks! Too bad about the message not being clear, but maybe the author can tweak it a bit and then it could be perfect. Thanks for the fun and wimsical review. Great job.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Sock superhero, sounds an interesting one to tead.
Nice review.
Worldpeace

Post by Worldpeace »

Love this book the color and pictures are beautiful great book for kids
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The characters of the story are quite unique. Never imagined that anyone would write a storybook revolving around socks as the main characters. Thanks for the amazing review.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

We finally learn what happens to socks that somehow get lost in the dryer, haha! Little Lost Socks sounds like a delightful and light little book. Thank you for your beautiful review!
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by riyosha »

Ahh, this sounds lovely :) I would've liked to read this as a kid
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Sleepey

Post by Sleepey »

this sounds like it's a really good book for bedtime story.
AshSan

Post by AshSan »

This book is so sweet and cute i would recomend this for any young todler! :D :D :D :D
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 12:59 Sounds like a lovely children's book with vivid illustrations :) Can be a great gift for a young reader. Thank you for this insightful review!
Thanks for commenting!

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 14:50 I've never really given much thought to where all my missing sock(s) went too, including my current, favorite bedtime socks that recently, mysteriously disappeared😪.
I think it's hilarious but heartwarming that they might be in a cozy dreamland😄. I hope my ash socks choose to come back to me, or, more realistically, that whoever took them returns them to me🙄.
I think the message of this book might be to make the reader, most likely a child, optimistic about the fate of his or her missing sock(s). Ridiculous, I know.😄
I enjoyed reading this review. And I'd love to read this cute book.
I have had my fair share of mysterious sock disappearances too. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Boyboy2134 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 16:56 Sounds like a lovely children's book with vivid illustrations :) Can be a great gift for a young reader. Thank you for this insightful review!
Thanks for stopping by!

Misty20058 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 21:02 The question of where all the lost socks are has been a curiosity for me for a long time... This review makes me think that this book would be a great gift for a young reader. Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks for your comment!

kljrox wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 21:45 I absolutely love the concept of a land of lost socks! Too bad about the message not being clear, but maybe the author can tweak it a bit and then it could be perfect. Thanks for the fun and wimsical review. Great job.
I agree, the book has great potential. Thank you for commenting!

Star_and_Buck wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 22:16 Sock superhero, sounds an interesting one to tead.
Nice review.
Thanks for your comment.
Worldpeace wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 23:31 Love this book the color and pictures are beautiful great book for kids
Thanks for stopping by.

Priyanka2304 wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 03:44 The characters of the story are quite unique. Never imagined that anyone would write a storybook revolving around socks as the main characters. Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks for stopping by!

Dominik_G wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 04:09 We finally learn what happens to socks that somehow get lost in the dryer, haha! Little Lost Socks sounds like a delightful and light little book. Thank you for your beautiful review!
Thanks for commenting!

riyosha wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 11:25 Ahh, this sounds lovely :) I would've liked to read this as a kid
Thank you for your comment!

Sleepey wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 15:53 this sounds like it's a really good book for bedtime story.
Thanks for stopping by!

AshSan wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 16:57 This book is so sweet and cute i would recomend this for any young todler! :D :D :D :D
Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The Land of Lost Socks sounds like a lovely place! Even though the socks have lost their mate, they seem to be making lots of friends. I enjoyed your thoughts about this book and your insights about the message. Great review. Thanks!

Return to “Children's Books”