Official Review: Virtual by Silvino Ferreira Jr

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Virtual by Silvino Ferreira Jr

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Virtual" by Silvino Ferreira Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Virtual is a lovely collection of poems written by Silvino Ferreira Jr. It is a bilingual edition: the poems were written in Portuguese and translated into English by Anne-Marie Glasheen. The themes explored by the author in his poems include new information and communication technologies, social media, and living in London. The author does not use any particular structure or rhyme scheme; he uses free verse, and some poems reminded me of concrete poetry.

I found this poetry book to be cozy and comforting. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but I often feel that the best poems have the power of consoling us, and this was quite the case with the poems in Virtual. For instance, I could relate to the author’s subtle anxiety about the overwhelming reality of the digital world. I appreciated how he conveys his dreams of a type of poetry to be read “without privacy policy/or having to accept terms and conditions/or password or login.” He also alludes to “tedious/heavy file to load/seconds like hours pass,” and I loved his tacit disapproval of “robot lovers.”

My favorite poems were the ones in which the author celebrates London, though. He paints the city using tender strokes. He marvels at its textures, the Thames, “logos illuminated on a row of facades, a typology of colours in secular arcades/anxious faces paused at collective stops.” I enjoyed how Ferreira Jr. vividly evokes London’s overall look and feel – its peculiar mood and atmosphere. I also appreciated how he explores the feeling of being lost in “exile in a foreign language/when the precise word eludes me.” I’m sure that most expatriates can relate to the feeling.

Paradoxically, there was a timeless and almost vintage quality to this collection of poems, although several of them were about the digital world. This aspect was what I enjoyed the most about it. It’s one of those books that could have been written using a quill instead of a computer. Its language seems elegant and restrained, and these classic undertones amused me.

There’s nothing I disliked about this touching and heartwarming collection of poems, and it seemed professionally edited. I also commend the translator; translating poems can’t be an easy task. Therefore, I gladly rate Virtual 4 out of 4 stars. It was a fast and heartwarming read that came in handy in these difficult times. I strongly recommend it to all readers who enjoy poetry. If you also speak Portuguese, it will particularly appeal to you.

Virtual
View: on Bookshelves
adeutd7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeutd7.html
Latest Review: Tujunga by Carlos Alvarado

Post by adeutd7 »

Good review. I've recently been drawn to the fascinating world of poetry. I will surely give this a read.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

but I often feel that the best poems have the power of consoling us
So true. Thanks for a concise review.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

I want to switch to poetry world.This is a good read for me.
Great review.
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

I believe the author did a great job to translate the said poems. Poems are thought lifters, I feel I must read this book. Thanks for the Review
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy poetry collections. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

A good review but I don't like to read poetries.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of poetry, but I enjoyed your review.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

I believe that poems are so informative, as they allow our brains to fully connect the dots. Thanks for the amazing review.
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

Hi my dear friend mmm17, It is a unique review of the book, that you presented the basic themes of the poems, and you refer to the cultural, intellectual context of the voice.
While I was reading the review, I remembered the poetic description of London according to Virginia Wolf in her novel " Mrs Dalloway " and also Eliot's “The Waste Land,” that we can imply many cognitive images of London by the relative time or the relative, poetic impressions. Have a great day.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”