Official Review: Those Who Hold Up the Earth

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 399
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Life Behind Bars Vol. 1 by Julian Starks

Official Review: Those Who Hold Up the Earth

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Those Who Hold Up the Earth" by Peter F. Crowley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Those Who Hold Up the Earth, Peter F. Crowley dedicates his poetry anthology to "...those who struggle to get by and who struggle for human dignity in the face of overwhelming odds." Portions of Crowley's collection highlight simple things in life, such as reflections on nature, employees at a pizza joint, and misplaced car keys. However, the recurring theme focuses on society's forgotten, which is especially relevant in light of the current pandemic and protests for racial justice.

The collection is 92 pages, and many of the poems have been previously featured in literary publications, such as Boston Literary Magazine, Wilderness House Literary Review, and WINK: Writers in the Know. Crowley effectively utilizes the elements of symbolism and imagery. The anthology traverses serious themes, including perseverance, racism, addiction, aging, intolerance, and death. However, Crowley balances weighty topics with lighter reflections. For example, "White Terrorist" is a chilling depiction of white supremacy while "Mint" is an ode to a pet cat who is feeling under the weather.

I particularly appreciate Crowley's ability to eloquently describe foreign countries in a manner that allows readers to envision they are journeying with him. For instance, "From Dhaka to Mawa" conjures scenic images of rickshaws, street vendors, tin homes, rice fields, and lush farmlands in Bangladesh. In "Old City," Crowley tickles the senses with references to Jewish bagels and Arabic coffee before alluding to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

On the other hand, Crowley doesn't use title case, begin lines of stanzas with capital letters, or punctuate consistently, but he also doesn't commit to a non-traditional approach. Regarding capitalization, the table of contents and poem titles are a hodgepodge of inconsistency. Likewise, some stanzas are punctuated, while others in the same poem are not. It is certainly the author's prerogative to not follow either traditional or modern conventions, but jumping back and forth may be perceived as a lack of intentionality; I find the inconsistency distracting. I did not count Crowley's stylized absence of punctuation as errors. However, the book lacks a professionally edited presentation due to the problematic table of contents in addition to the incorrect capitalizations of several common nouns.

For all of the above reasons, I rate Those Who Hold Up the Earth 3 out of 4 stars. The insightful collection will appeal to poetry lovers as well as readers who relate to the themes that Crowley addresses. The book contains several instances of profanity.

Those Who Hold Up the Earth
View: on Bookshelves

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Deep Conviction by Shane Flemens

Post by gabrielletiemi »

I really enjoy poetry books, specially the ones that bring a lot of dense subjects like. This one seems to talk a lot about current issues in society, such as racism and intolerance. It sounds very interesting. Too bad it has a lot of inconsistency. But it seems a great book. Thanks for the informative review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Confucius Analects by Raymond K. Li

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy poetry collections. Thanks for this enlightening review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Misty20058
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

I do tend to enjoy poetry, so I definitely want to read this book. Thanks for the very informative review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I love to read poems. So, I am thinking to read this book soon. Thanks for the amazing review.

INNOCENT mufungulwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by INNOCENT mufungulwa »

I love poetry so much and I think this is one of the best books I've ever read in my entire life

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”