Review by 3_roses -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Review by 3_roses -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Effie Cherotich »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Clayton Otherson, a nationally respected and prominent surgeon based in New Orleans, shifts his practice to bariatric surgery which becomes the genesis of his problems. He gets into trouble with the hospital management due to his numerous life-threatening errors on patients in the operating room which were as a result of inadequate training in laparoscopy. His ego and ambitions blind him from seeing how fatal his mistakes are. Instead of putting an end to his practice, the hospital OR committee votes to allow Clayton to continue with his practice on condition that he trained on his technical skills on laparoscopy.

However, Dr Otherson does not meet the end of the bargain and he ends up operating on any client who wanted to lose weight which results to the death of a young, promising lady, Helen Rappaport. Consequently, he is sent on an indefinite suspension upon which his life spirals down. His wife, Catherine, ends up falling in love with Dr Mike Boudreaux who is Clayton's former student, mentee, friend and boss. So what does Clayton do when he learns of the affair between Mike and Catherine? What happens to Clayton after losing his career? Can he redeem himself?

The Surgeon's Wife by William H Coles is a captivating story that explores the subjects of broken families, mental health and unconditional love. The book has a few plot twists and an intriguing storyline which grip the reader's attention throughout the read. All the characters are well-developed and the root of their personas are well explained. Even though this book has a medical theme, the author ensured that this did not overshadow the flow of the story. However, I wished the author explained some of the medical vocabulary that were used for the audience that have completely no knowledge of some medical terms. The book has been divided into 36 chapters that are brief making it easy for the reader to read through swiftly.

What I love most about the book is how the author highlights the issue of instability in families, particularly strained parent-child relationships. This topic was handled in a raw and explicit manner. I found it brave of the author to shed light on such a delicate matter. However, I did not dislike anything about the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it tells of an exceptional story that has powerful and meaningful lessons. The characters have relatable identities. The book has been professionally edited as well. I would recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy young adult fiction. The book has very many instances of profanities but no erotic scenes or descriptions. It touches on age-sensitive topics such as violence, suicide, neglect, child abuse and drug abuse therefore I would highly not recommend this book to children and minors.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

The book has a few plot twists and an intriguing storyline which grip the reader's attention throughout the read
An encouraging review. Good job.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

The story sounds really interesting. I thought it would only be related to the medical aspect. Glad to know it's much more than that. Good review!
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:

Teele wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 03:27
The book has a few plot twists and an intriguing storyline which grip the reader's attention throughout the read
An encouraging review. Good job.
Thank you for your feedback.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:

khaulah wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 03:47 The story sounds really interesting. I thought it would only be related to the medical aspect. Glad to know it's much more than that. Good review!
Well I'm more glad that I helped you realize that.
Thank you for your response.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

This book sounds like it has a solid premise. However, I already dislike the protagonist by reading your review; probably due to the book not being in my usual genre class. Great review though.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:

Olabode Joshua wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 04:13 This book sounds like it has a solid premise. However, I already dislike the protagonist by reading your review; probably due to the book not being in my usual genre class. Great review though.
Your honest feedback is highly appreciated.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I enjoyed your review. The book is full of drama, suspense and tension. I loved reading it.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:

Guda LM wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 05:15 I enjoyed your review. The book is full of drama, suspense and tension. I loved reading it.
I enjoyed reading the book as well.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”