Official Review: Ascending Power by Malcolm Gibson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Ascending Power by Malcolm Gibson

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ascending Power" by Malcolm Gibson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you believe would happen if a mineral was found that would cause a tenfold increase in gasoline mileage? How would it affect the financial markets? How far do you think the oil companies and the people in power would go to see that the discovery was never made public?

Billy Strikeleather had grown up on the Chinati reservation in Texas before he made it big as an NFL quarterback. When his uncle, Sam Longbird, called and asked him to come home because he required his help, Billy flew in to meet with him. Sam took him to the Rio Hot Springs on the reservation. Following fracking in the area, the mineral water coming from the springs seems to be killing the nearby plants. Billy recognized the taste as something he had studied in a geology class in college, called dysprosium. This is a rare mineral that can increase the mileage of gasoline considerably.

Suddenly, shots ring out and his uncle is critically injured. Someone is determined to keep dysprosium from being developed, and they will go to great lengths to do it. Will the Chinati tribe bow to the pressure from the oil companies and sell out to them? Or will they, despite the dangers, fight the oil companies, find another backer, and refine and sell the mineral themselves?

Ascending Power by Malcolm Gibson is an elaborate, thrilling, action-packed novel in the C/T/M/H genre. While narrated from a third-person point of view, the prose is straightforward and riveting. The author captures the reader’s attention from the first page and transports them on an exhilarating ride with lots of twists and turns to a mesmerizing finish. I found it very difficult to relax while reading it. The thrilling and unique plot represents my favorite aspect of the tale.

A rich array of believable characters are encountered in the story. Billy is a flawed character who made it as a quarterback in the NFL and had fame and fortune until tearing his ACL ruined his career. Regrettably, he turned to alcohol afterward, throwing his life and marriage into a downward spiral. He hopes to redeem himself by aiding the Chinati people. His wife, Leslie, loved the fame and money that Billy enjoyed but misses it after he was let go. She is considering moving on with someone else who can provide those things. Chief Whitecloud is concerned solely for his people. His goal is to bring the Indians together in a way that will sustain them financially in the future but without all the heartaches sudden riches can cause. Buck Olmeyer is the CEO of Trans-Nation, which is an oil company, and Dolph Barstow is the governor of Texas. Both of them are conniving, dishonest, and determined to halt the production of dysprosium at all costs. These are some of the fascinating characters in the story.

I absolutely loved this book. Unfortunately, I did encounter a problem. I prefer having all of my questions answered by the end of the story, and sadly, that is not the case here. Although it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, the ending is rather abrupt with several unanswered questions. This was my least favorite aspect of the book. An epilogue tying up the loose ends would have taken care of this problem. This could very well be setting the stage for a sequel; however, I could not acquire any information about an upcoming book even after looking for it. Therefore, I feel forced to take off a star. Subsequently, Ascending Power achieves a rating of three out of four stars. Once this issue is addressed, I feel it could easily get the highest rating as it seems to be professionally edited with only two minor errors.

I enthusiastically recommend this book to people who enjoy reading thrillers and crime dramas. A couple of episodes of fairly explicit sex and some profanities were encountered in the novel. Subsequently, it is not appropriate for children, and sensitive readers need to be aware as well.

Ascending Power
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems unique and interesting. I would like to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 13:08 This book seems unique and interesting. I would like to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like reading on conspiracies and this about the rare mineral appears like a good one. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

Books in the C/T/M/H genre appeal to me and the storyline of this book is an enticing one. Thanks for this great review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, the plot of this book is thrilling indeed. Thanks for the informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

It's sad the story didn't answer all your answers.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Slater678 wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 23:20 I like reading on conspiracies and this about the rare mineral appears like a good one. Thanks for the wonderful review.
You're welcome! I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Munachimso_Nwaogazie wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 01:48 Books in the C/T/M/H genre appeal to me and the storyline of this book is an enticing one. Thanks for this great review.
Thanks for taking the time to read it and comment! I think you will enjoy the book!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Elvis Best wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 03:32 Wow, the plot of this book is thrilling indeed. Thanks for the informative review. Good job!
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing thriller centered around the world of sports, particularly the NFL. Considering your remarks about the ending, I'll wait for a sequel before deciding if I want to read it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Doziesixtus wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 06:51 It's sad the story didn't answer all your answers.
I agree, and it wouldn't take a lot to fix that. Then, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a 4 rating.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 12:24 This seems an intriguing thriller centered around the world of sports, particularly the NFL. Considering your remarks about the ending, I'll wait for a sequel before deciding if I want to read it. Thank you for your great review!
Although Billy is an ex-NFL quarterback, it doesn't really have a lot to do with sports. It has more to do with how they will handle the mineral they found: sell out to the oil companies or try to refine it and sell it themselves. I don't think there is a sequel; however, if the author included an epilogue and tied up the loose ends, it would be worthy of 4 stars. Thanks for stopping by!
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

This book talks about Billy Strikeleather. Billy grown up in Chinati reservation in Texas before he made it big as an NFL quarterback.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

At first, the book seems to hold so much promise. I am disheartened to know that the book ended with lots of loose threads. Great review, though!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”