Official Review: Rearranging Change by Steve McChesney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Rearranging Change by Steve McChesney

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rearranging Change" by Steve McChesney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is about marketing. Ok, hold on, I can do better. Let me try and apply some of the techniques from Rearranging Change by Steve McChesney. This book, dear reader, is meant for you. Although marketing techniques have stayed the same for time immemorial, the audience and the tools are constantly changing. You have worked hard to build your business, your online presence, and your influence. You deserve to gain a competitive edge to guarantee your continued success. The smart choice is to grab a copy of this book and learn the techniques within. Through the use of time-proven strategies and high-tech, online tools, you’ll be on your way in no time. Do you want to read this book yet? If so, the techniques you'll learn in this book are already working!

Rearranging Change is a non-fiction book that attempts to demystify some of the tactics and techniques used in the world of marketing. The book, however, goes considerably deeper than simply teaching you how to sell a product to a potential buyer. First, the author gets you to understand your intended audience, and how to target them. He talks about the significant differences between the different generations, what motivates them, and how that can affect your marketing strategy. He then delves deeper into what makes people tick. He talks about communication styles, motivators, features versus benefits, and the power of personalisation. He then goes into the core components of copywriting, tips to overcome writer’s block, and even mentions electronic tools you can use to improve readability. Finally, he then discusses many of the social media platforms available today and how you can employ them to promote your brand.

I’m not an entrepreneur, nor am I trying to establish a business. Despite this, what I liked the most about this book is how the information within it is universally applicable. Without needing to sell anything, the techniques I have learned can nevertheless be used in every conversation, email, letter, social media post, or review I draft. I loved the short, concise chapters that were full of valuable information. The colloquial and relatively informal way that this was written made the book particularly easy to read. However, I can’t help but assume the entire text was intentionally designed that way!

A couple of small things irked me about the book, regardless of the praises above. First, there were entire sections that seemed to be added as filler. For example, a bit more than four pages were dedicated to listing great movies to watch to make you a better salesperson, marketer, or business owner. Next, and perhaps this is to be expected with a book written by a professional salesman, I felt like the author was constantly trying to sell himself and his products. Veiled in relevant examples, he talks about his mobile apps, encourages the reader to follow him on the various social media discussed, plugs his courses, and even states that he is available for marketing seminars. Finally, and what I disliked the most, was that there were too many grammatical/editing errors. This is especially the case for a book that is about effective writing.

Overall, this book was awesome. I learned a lot about how to write for a specific audience, and how to use traditional marketing techniques in my day-to-day life. All of this, and the fact that it was fun to read, leads me to give this book a solid 3 out of 4 stars. If I hadn't found so many editing errors, I probably would have given it a perfect score. I firmly believe that this one has a little bit of something for everyone. That being said, I’d highly recommend it to those that are self-employed and those who are trying learn how to promote their brand. If non-fiction books aren’t for you, you can comfortably stay away from this one.

P.S. I also learned everyone reads the “P.S.” in a text, and that using one is an ideal way to highlight something important. Did it work?

Rearranging Change
View: on Bookshelves
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Based on your review, this seems like a really informative and fun read about marketing strategies. I like that you also tried to employ these strategies you have learned from reading this book. Great review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I like what you did there in the first paragraph. Shows how much you learned from the book. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

I love how the author of this review has tried to implement the strategies that they have learned. Thanks for the informative review.
Niicolar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Niicolar »

Based on the review, the author seemed to be a professional business man, and then used he's own innovative business ideas to come up with strategies for we readers to implement in our business life after being read, pretty good if you ask me.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

I'll pass on this one for now, but thanks for the honest review. :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

This is a good book for business people.
Marketing tips are well explained.
Thanks for an honest review
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

I like how you practically apply the marketing strategies highlighted in the book.Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”