Official Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thir13en" by Keegan Nielsen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Torn apart by a strange plague that has overrun the Earth, brothers Conner and Tyson Weston will stop at nothing to get back to each other. Most of the world’s population has been transformed into zombie-like creatures, aimlessly attacking anything that breathes. The brothers were separated while fleeing for their lives at the start of the outbreak, circa 2080. Now, on opposite ends of the world and without any form of communication, reunification seems unattainable.

In Australia, Tyson is a soldier volunteering for the EVD (Earth’s Viral Defenses). In California, Conner is entirely on his own, having not seen a friendly face in a very long time. Both brothers are fighting to survive with the end goal of finding the other. They have one connection in mind – a band of mercenaries tasked with the protection of Earth and what’s left of the population. The Thirteen. Somehow, they both know that if they can find the Thirteen, they will find each other.

I was excited to read Thir13en. The author, Keegan Nielson, says that it’s an amalgamation of his favourite genres: sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and action-adventure. I mean, what else could I possibly want from a book? After having finished the story, I can happily say that he delivered in every aspect of every genre.

This story starts out fast and picks up speed as it goes along. There was not one moment where I thought, ‘Oh, thank goodness, they can breathe.’ It is a whirlwind of a book that keeps you craving the next page. Nielson manages to keep the storyline fluctuating by introducing the craziest elements at every turn. Somehow, he also manages to ensure that the craziest things also belong. It’s been assembled brilliantly.

He took his time with introducing his characters. I felt like I knew both Conner and Tyson personally, and their tribulations became my own. Aside from the two main characters, the secondary characters were also distinctly crafted, and the time Nielson took to present them all made the read that much more enjoyable.

Because of the hectic storyline, I would have enjoyed there to have been more ‘fluff.’ By this, I mean that Nielson clearly got so into weaving his tale, that towards the end, he forgot to include pivotal emotions and fell into the ‘show, don’t tell’ trap. Thankfully, up until a certain point, he had built the characters and their foundations solidly enough that I was able to overlook this. It did, however, make the story seem rushed through the final quarter.

Nonetheless, I would still wholeheartedly recommend this book. I am a sci-fi junkie, and this was right up my alley. This is an easy four out of four stars for me. Even with the slight faux pas mentioned, as a first book, I see this author only going from strength to strength and I look forward to anything he writes next. So, any sci-fi nutters like me, give this one a go! You won’t be sorry.

Thir13en
View: on Bookshelves
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
LeCajun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LeCajun »

Thank you for this review, although I am not a Sci-fi junkie, your review made the book sound intriguing enough for me to want to read it.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

Storyline is excellent. Characters are intriguing
thank for the review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Indeed, the plot of this book sounds really interesting. I like how the entire storyline unfolds. Thanks for such an informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

A book I would love to read. Nice review.
Vogan
Favorite Author: L.J Smith
Currently Reading: Fatal Flaws
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogan.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
fav_author_id: 4017

Post by Vogan »

This review is great and I can't wait to start reading this book.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Conner and Tyson seem like strong characters. I'm definitely getting a World War: Z vibe from reading this. Thanks for an awesome review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

This sounds like an amazing fast paced novel. Im glad that the review mentioned that it continues to pick up pace, as this is something that I look for in a book. Thanks for such a good review!
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Nice review
Aditi sharma123
Currently Reading: The Memoir Man
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Aditi sharma123 »

At last the brothers had a chance to be reunited, that is, if they can stay alive long enough was the most interesting part of the story. On each page I had goosebumps!!!Great plot👏👏👏
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a great read, with awesome suspense and a great storyline. The book combines a few of my favourite genres as well, so I think I might give it a try. Thanks for the awesome review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Wow! This story sounds like one heck of a thrill ride! The premise is also heartwarming - 2 brothers trying to reunite with each other... How sweet!

Thank you for your enthusiastic review.
:D
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premise is not particularly original, but plot and characters seem well developed making it an engaging novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like a riveting read, full of adventure and excitement! Those are all my favourite genres as well so I may just give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I was excited to read Thir13en.
I hope I find it exciting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”