Featured Official Review: A Lucky Turn? by Karl Summers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Featured Official Review: A Lucky Turn? by Karl Summers

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lucky Turn?" by Karl Summers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every time we are presented with options, our choices, or others' contribute to the outcomes we get. Is it possible to get the same result when we switch our decisions? Maybe A Lucky Turn? by Karl Summers has the answer to this question — or perhaps not.

A Lucky Turn? is a black comedy that revolves around three friends — Frank, Tony, and Sherry. On the 13th of June, their lives become intertwined by a common desire to win a lottery game. Meanwhile, they have their individual stories that fuel this common desire. Frank is in a 13-year marriage that has become a burden to him. He needs the money to process his divorce. Tony's family relies on him for sustenance after his father's restaurant business collapses. Sherry lost her mum at the age of 3 and is left at the mercy of an abusive stepfather. She wants out! The 13th of June is a day that their lives change forever. However, there are intricacies unknown to them. Will they win the lottery? What other significance does the 13th of June hold for them?

When I read the description of this book, my curiosity was heightened. This book was my first attempt at reading black comedy. I had to do little research to have a holistic idea of what to expect or things to look out for. From what I learned from research, the author did an excellent job of crafting a book that fitted the bill. The dark humor in this book would arouse all manner of emotions in the reader. I laughed, screamed, and was pissed (not at the book, but at some of the events that played out). Though it wasn't a spectacular read, A Lucky Turn? had all it took to fall into the black comedy genre.

One key feature of books in the black comedy genre is dark humor. This involves the flagrant use of vulgarity. As I expected, there was an avalanche of vulgar words used in this book. To that end, I wouldn't recommend it to a young reading audience. However, older adults, who wouldn't mind a great deal of profanity, would find this book appealing.

I was impressed the most at how the author built his narrative around the three main characters — Frank, Tony, and Sherry. Though these characters took a more significant percentage of the book, the author didn't isolate them completely — every other character connected to each of the three major players in this book. For instance, Frank's wife of 13 years, Claire, Tony's parents, and Sherry's stepdad played minor roles in the story. This stood out most for me as I read the book.

Apart from a few minor errors in the book, it lived up to expectations. It was written well with the right doses of humor and suspense. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

A Lucky Turn?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vogan
Favorite Author: L.J Smith
Currently Reading: Fatal Flaws
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogan.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
fav_author_id: 4017

Post by Vogan »

This review is great and I can't wait to start reading this book.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I have never read any black comedy so it would be interesting book to look out for.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

This sounds like an amazing book. Not only does it sound like it has an amazing plot, but it is also written incredibly well. This book is definitely going to be my next read.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

This review left me urging for more. Nice one!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This sounds great! I like the concept of the book. The idea that if we took a different road in our lives, would the end result be the same? This is something that I like to think about a lot. It is very intriguing to me. It seems like a really good book, but I think the dark humor may be a bit to profane. Dang it. Anyway, great review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

Thanks for the amazing review! This sounds like an interesting and well-crafted story. The concept of our choices and their effects is one that has always fascinated me in stories, so this sounds like a great read.
Saragha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saragha »

This is grabs my attention hence its sound very interesting and great
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like an interesting read. It is always commendable when an author manages to tell their story well, but also fulfill all the requirements of their genre. Thanks for the review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I like the premise and I’ve never read black comedy. This seems like one to keep in mind. Thank you for the thorough review!
Aditi sharma123
Currently Reading: The Memoir Man
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Aditi sharma123 »

It is a very fascinating story on a topic which I am very keen of. The dark humour may be a bit to profane.The most interesting character for me was Frank.Nice humour and suspense.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Frank is in a 13-year marriage that has become a burden to him. He needs the money to process his divorce
Interesting plot. Thanks for a good review.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

This seems quite enjoyable. Great work on the review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

It is so rare to find a well-written comedy. Sounds like a nice read. Great review!
Karterl+9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Karterl+9 »

I have never read any black comedy,a lover of dark humor,would definitely want this one on my shelf.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”