Review by derialist -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Will...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by derialist -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Will...

Post by derialist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles is an award-winning collection of short fiction stories by William H. Coles. Thirty-one short stories, two graphic novels, and one novella, written between 2000 and 2016, make up the book. The stories span a wide range of subjects, but they often examine the conditioning of the human psyche. The stories do an excellent job of depicting the true-to-life struggles of everyday living. Unfortunately, that means science-fiction elements are markedly absent.

Collectively, the story-telling is impeccable. One of my favorites, the bear, which I found to be uncharacteristically short, managed to maintain the excitement of a thriller, despite its brevity. The story is about three relatives that went out hunting in the winter. They checked the snares and found two were empty, but one of the spring loaders had a small hind leg in the clamp claws. The rest of its body had been ripped off. A few moments later, Sean, the youngest one, spots a bear. Shortly afterward, the bear bears down upon them, and it’s soon a matter of survival.

Another noteworthy aspect of the stories is how they highlight the fragility of human relationships. This theme comes out strongly in the gift, speaking of the dead, the wreck of the Amtrak’s silver service, and lost papers. In the wreck of the Amtrak’s silver service, Heinrick Clever is a doctor who was married to his wife for thirty-two years. When Heinrick cheats on his wife with Penny Pram, they couldn’t reconcile their relationship, despite Agnes (his wife) having understood and forgiven him. He had this fiery resentment against his wife because her felicity seemed limitless, and he hated it.

Where will Heinrick’s animosity against his wife lead him? Will he divorce his wife, or will it lead him down a sinister path? Reading this story was a delightful experience. The author’s clever use of prognostics made me anxious about getting to that pivotal moment when a character’s decision affected the outcome of the story massively. Ultimately, there were lots of unexpected twists in the way the author narrated the stories, and despite long read, it was entertaining and thought-provoking.

My verdict on this book is affirmative to the quality of the stories inside. I loved the uniqueness of each story. The author reused some character names inside the book, but I was never confused about their roles. The characters were distinct, which attests to the thoughtfulness invested by the author as he planned about the characters.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars principally because the stories were entertaining and well written. The errors I encountered were intentional: in the quest to capture the nuances of grammar among demographics, the author had to make some grammatical sacrifices. The stories are equally suitable for all kinds of readers, but it does make use of expletives that may not appeal to some. I heartily recommend this book to readers that love reading short stories. I also discourage children from reading due to mature content and the use of obscenities.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

I found your review to be very informative. Thanks for the great review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Good job. A collection of stories sounds just right for the children.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I'm currently reading this book and I absolutely love it. I think your review is really great.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I've read some of the author's book and they have been great. I hope that this fiction work won't let me down.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely and engaging review from you. I am happy you enjoyed reading this book. Thank you for your recommendation.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy story collections. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Really insightful review. I've reviewed another book by this author, and I'm looking forward to read this one :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I'm not exactly into short stories, but I like the topics and themes of this collection. Great review!
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

Great review, this book sounds interesting. I don’t personally like short stories but thanks for your review.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

Sounds like an excellent read! I do enjoy short stories when they're done well – they often leave the readers wanting more. Thanks for the great review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I liked it. But I think the novella could have been better. Great review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Thanks guys for reading my review. For those that are yet to read it i'd say stories in the book were really great and you won't go wrong by reading it.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

There seems to be a wide variety in these stories. It is always a pleasure to read a well written and we'll edited book. Thank you for an interesting and comprehensive review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

This collection of short fiction is truly thought-provoking. It wasn't a relaxing read but it was definitely worth reading. Thanks for this insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”