Official Review: Prejudice and Pride by Eve Delson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Prejudice and Pride by Eve Delson

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prejudice and Pride" by Eve Delson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Readers of Jane Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice, or watchers of any movie versions, are familiar with the classic tale of the Bennet family’s financial struggle and Mrs. Bennet’s eagerness to find advantageous marriages for her five daughters. It’s a story of division between the wealthy and the poor, family scandal, and changes in perspective. In Prejudice and Pride, Eve Delson has reimagined this timeless tale in a modern setting, and it’s not the Bennet women who are looking for love—it’s the handsome Bennet brothers.

Delson did a fantastic job of recreating Austen’s story in a modern setting. In her version, the Bennets attend college at Longbourn University, a prestigious college for the rich and famous, only because both parents work there. I particularly liked how well she created male versions in the Bennet brothers whose personalities matched the original Bennet sisters. Delson also managed to create a female version of the dreaded Mr. Collins, and boy did Willa Collins’ comments make my jaw drop at times! Best of all were the lovely Darci Fitzwilliam and Charlize Bingly, who played their roles well throughout the retelling.

I loved how Delson pulled relevant issues into the story, including the problem of drug dealing/drug use and the media’s ability to produce a sensational story that doesn’t quite ring true. She also included positive social activities like pet adoption, volunteering at youth events for orphans, and environmental awareness advocacy. Delson was able to use both the positive and the negative situations to create scenarios that allowed her characters to interact in a fully-developed reality where their character growth and relationships could evolve naturally.

Although the story retained some predictability, it was fun to look for the correlations between the original story and the new. I did find some of the dialogue a bit crude, but the “your mom” and “that’s what she said” jokes were, fortunately, few and far between. A few of the scenes between Darci and Eli Bennet also felt a bit cliché, but overall, I enjoyed the progression of their storyline, and the book had a satisfying conclusion.

My favorite part of the whole book was the family scandal portion of the storyline. Delson created the perfect scenario for a modern retelling that made sense and built the tension necessary to match the “scandalously patched up marriage” portion of the original.

Unfortunately, I found more than ten errors scattered throughout the book. There were no significant plot holes or notable distractions from the story, merely minor typos and punctuation errors that would be fixed with a final round of proofreading. Therefore, I give Prejudice and Pride a rating of 3 out of 4. Austen fans looking for a gender-bent retelling of the classic story may enjoy this book, and those who enjoy modern romance with no erotic content should find a pleasant read as well. Mild profanities exist within the novel but are kept to a minimum. The content remains appropriate for a teen+ audience. As a final warning, please note that this book will make you want to watch the movie for comparisons (and that in itself was rather enjoyable too)!

Prejudice and Pride
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

The characters are charming, and likable. The descriptions make you feel like you are right there.
thank you for the review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I like the twist in this classic story. The bennets brothers looking for love sounds so intriguing to me. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Luc1e
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luc1e »

This review is amazing .it has influenced me to read this specific book. I have been curious on the old historical romance

Thankyou
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

When I saw the title of the book, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice immediately clicked into picture. The fact that the author converted the female characters to male makes the book all the more interesting. Thanks for an awesome review.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I love gender swaps in fiction. It's so interesting seeing things from the other gender's perspective! And it sounds even though there were errors, it was done well!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

This book is in relation to the present book am reading - in character and theme, only differs with Affair Royale being a book of Romance.
Rael C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rael-c.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rael C »

I'm a fan of Jane Austen.I'll definitely enjoy this one and I would also like to compare it with 'Pride and Prejudice'.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

This modern version of Pride and Prejudice seems like a fun and enjoyable read, even for those who haven't read Jane Austen's masterpiece.
Rodel Barnachea

Dayodiola wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 14:55 This book is in relation to the present book am reading - in character and theme, only differs with Affair Royale being a book of Romance.
Is Affair Royale that good of a book? Would you recommend this to people?
Rodel Barnachea

Letora wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 14:38 I love gender swaps in fiction. It's so interesting seeing things from the other gender's perspective! And it sounds even though there were errors, it was done well!
Yes, I also love gender swaps. I think that with a round of editing and proofreading, this book would be perfect for everyone.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

This seems like a good book perfect for when you want a simpler alternative.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

What a concept! Chosing to give a major twist to a wonderful work is in itself amazing. Really gotta see what this book holds for the readers. Thanks for your amazing review.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I enjoyed your overall review of the book as it has made it appealing to me. Nice one, I would love to read this book as soon as possible as it already makes a lot of sense to me.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

Pride and Prejudice has to be one of my all time favorite novels and I find myself constantly rereading it. I'm really intrigued by this modern version of a classic story, especially because the writer used the concept of brothers. I'll definitely check it out!

Thank you for a nice review! :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”