Official Review: The little Candle by Richard W. Rogers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The little Candle by Richard W. Rogers

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The little Candle" by Richard W. Rogers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Laura had high expectations for the big family Christmas celebration. A large extended family of aunts, uncles, and nine cousins would soon fill the house with love and laughter. Katie decorated the tree with popcorn and practiced her song for the play. Mom baked cookies and prepared a turkey for the family meal. Dad went to town to pick up the Christmas gifts the family had ordered from various catalogs.

Laura went to town with dad in the family truck. When they arrived at the store, Mrs. Hoffman gave Laura the small leftover piece of a candle they discovered in a box. Laura went back home with Aunt Kathy, but Dad stayed behind to work at the Christmas tree lot. By the time he was ready to head home, a big snowstorm was brewing. How would Dad and Uncle Dennis get back in all the snow? Laura was just a child, and her candle was so small. How could her little efforts make any difference when the storm was so strong?

The Little Candle by Richard W. Rogers is a children’s Christmas story set in the Blue Ridge Parkway of North Carolina. Laura, the main character, learned that being small is not the same as being insignificant. The story described many small acts of kindness that spread great happiness to others. I liked the positive parental modeling between the father and daughter on the drive into town. Katie, the quirky younger sister, added humor to the story with her unique clothing choices.

The characters spoke openly about their faith in God and belief in biblical teachings. Prayers flowed effortlessly from their hearts and lips. The author assumed readers would be familiar with the traditional Christmas story and delights readers with a modernized version of the Wise Men’s journey. Christians would enjoy this story, but all readers would feel their hearts warm with the love and generosity manifested by various characters in the narrative.

I thought the appearance of Pastor Mike in a Santa hat was out of place. The rest of the book emphasized the family’s faith and trust in the God of the Bible. Inserting this secular character into the narrative detracted from the story’s focus and message. I also noticed ten grammar errors and some anomalies in the illustrations. Laura’s dad drove a “light blue” truck that the illustrations consistently portrayed as red.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The beautiful descriptions of the setting, the well-developed characters, and the positive message that little things can make a big difference made this a captivating story. The grammar errors and the awkward image of Pastor Mike in a Santa hat were my reasons for lowering the score. Readers of all ages would enjoy this book. Younger readers would learn that, even though they are still small, their small acts of kindness can bring joy to others. The Little Candle would enhance any family or school library as it opens hearts to the true spirit of Christmas: “a grateful heart filled with love.”

The little Candle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I probably wouldn't pick The Little Candle for my kids because of its religious tone but I really like the ultimate message that "being small is not the same as being insignificant". I enjoyed reading your review, thank you!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

This book sounds like the perfect gift for my little nephews. Thanks for this lovely review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The religious tone would make me shy away from this one but it does have wonderful lessons.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

liked the idea, charming story simply woven with family and faith ,gift for kids
thanks for the review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

How cute! Sounds like the perfect book that encapsulates the spirit of Christmas for the little ones.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I think I’d enjoy any Christmas tale full of popcorn garlands, snowflakes, small acts of kindness, and lil candle remnants! Thank you for providing such an informative and entertaining critique. :candle:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. Kids will definitely love reading it.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I find Laura's situation tragic, and I am intrigued to know how Laura had overcome this. However, the moral could be a problem for non-Christians and non-believers.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Letora wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 07:18 The religious tone would make me shy away from this one but it does have wonderful lessons.
Yeah, it seems that only Christians would enjoy the lesson of the book. But people who don't a problem with Christian teachings could also enjoy the other aspects of the book and the book itself.
johnny_42
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johnny_42 »

:techie-reference: The little Candle is a fine book. Thought the religion part field a bit off, But it was fine book
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like a beautiful story! I love the idea of modernizing the Wise Men's journey. The positive message that small and insignificant are not the same thing is such an important lesson for children to learn. Thanks for the warm and well crafted review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Being small is not the same as being insignificant.That is an invaluable piece of advice there.This story must be one big lesson to young readers.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Dominik_G wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 02:27 I probably wouldn't pick The Little Candle for my kids because of its religious tone but I really like the ultimate message that "being small is not the same as being insignificant". I enjoyed reading your review, thank you!
The book does present a beautiful message for all readers. Thanks so much for your comments!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Elvis Best wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:20 This book sounds like the perfect gift for my little nephews. Thanks for this lovely review. Good job!
I hope they enjoy it! Thanks, Elvis. I appreciate your comments. :-)

Return to “Children's Books”