Official Review: The Book of Moncoto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: The Book of Moncoto

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Book of Moncoto" by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak is a fantasy fiction story about Dawn Baxter - a teenage girl who goes sailing with her grandmother and is involved in the boat accident on that trip. After the accident, she finds herself on a magical travel adventure away from friends and civilisation. Her quest to return to the life she knew before the accident forms the bane of the plot in this fabulously written fiction story. Her journey leads to unexpected mistakes and consequences. Righting the wrongs takes Dawn on another travel adventure in which she meets new friends and helpers. She learns useful lessons that will be essential for life.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. I found it intriguing and suspenseful and at no point in time was I sure about how the story would end or in which direction the plot was heading. The dialogue was natural, and the writing style simple and easy to understand. I especially enjoyed the teenager-adult banter between Dawn and her grandmother at the beginning of the story. It was realistic and believable. The characters were flawed, and it was easy to feel empathy for them. It was amazing to see how Dawn matured in the book as the plot evolved.

The story was filled with information about animal life and their habitats. I liked the way the author added scientific facts about constellations and zodiac to the story. The story taught me that when one adds pursuit to a desire with determination, the person can achieve success. There were lots of lessons about making choices and the consequences of those choices. There were lessons about contentment and gratitude; trust, loyalty, friendship and dependence.

A particular event in the book spoke to me. The lions and bears were living in disunity and distrust. When a cub from each family went missing, each party blamed the other. It is easy to distrust people who are different from us. This is common amongst humans, and we must seek peace, communication, and unity despite our differences. The event reminded me of the prejudices and racism in our world today. In truth, children do not notice the differences that adults do. Even when they do notice, it attracts them to other children and does not repel. Prejudices and racism are taught. No one is born with them.

I think the book was professionally edited because there were minimal grammatical errors in the book. Teenagers and young adults will thoroughly enjoy reading this book. I recommend this book to school and family libraries. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read and because there was nothing I disliked about this book.

The Book of Moncoto
View: on Bookshelves
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

The Book of Moncoto sounds both very entertaining and educational about a lot of different matters. Thank you for your great review!
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

The story is marvelously constructed. Emmersing the reader in a world so unique , filled with rich characters sure to delight the young reader i would love to read
Thanks for your review
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I like this book already. I love the idea of a magical land, and some adventure ☺️.
Your review was very interesting to read.
Live and let live, baby.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have read a lot of books on a similar theme. Would definitely read this one too.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

This sounds quite interesting and fun. I'm a bit disappointed with the cover thought. Either way, thanks for your review.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This book sounds like a real treat for fans of adventure fantasy stories! Thank you for great review!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I found it intriguing and suspenseful and at no point in time was I sure about how the story would end or in which direction the plot was heading
An interesting book, I see. Thanks for a concise review.

Return to “Children's Books”