Official Review: Bad by Dylan S Howard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Bad by Dylan S Howard

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bad" by Dylan S Howard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even after more than a decade following the death of Michael Jackson, the king of pop still suffers new allegations of child abuse, especially with the release of the HBO two-part presentation called “Leaving Neverland.” With original researches, exclusive new interviews, Michael’s own words, and access to long-hidden files, the investigation of Bad by Dylan Howard throws light on what was undeniably the sad life of an increasingly lonely, self-destructive icon.

This book starts with a prologue that presents excerpts of a previously unseen video that featured the king of pop in an aggressive foul-mouthed role-playing session with young boys in his bed at a secluded resort. The author proceeds to give a comprehensive account of the life of Michael Jackson, including his successes and events that ultimately led to his downfall, from the start of his career with the Jackson 5 to his death and beyond. Was Michael Jackson a twisted-adult or just a man-child, stunned in bad-boy adolescence? This book provides an excellent reference that offers answers to the previous questions and much more.

Different accounts into the life of Michael Jackson have surfaced over the years and rightly so because of his legendary status coupled with the air of controversy associated with his private life. I am a massive fan of these sorts of accounts as they provide me a closer view of who he was, and that was why I picked up this book. I am glad that this book exceeded my expectations; it was like I had a front-row seat to see Michael’s life as a movie, allowing me the pleasure of being the judge of whether or not the allegations against Michael ultimately held any water.

I commend the author for the amount of research he must have put into this account. The testimonies of a lot of people that had first-hand information were included in this account, as well as pictures of several pages from the diary of Michael himself and the documents of the court cases against him. I verified most of the presented testimonies, and they all checked out. I also loved the number of pictures that were added in the text that showed some of the artworks that were drawn by the king of pop; I found them refreshing to see. In all these stories, I found one aspect of Michael Jackson to be consistent: his commitment to exceed his previous heights. It was a shame that, in the end, we never got to witness what would have been his most magnificent ever performance as a result of his death.

Although I found a few minor errors in reported speeches, which I can’t criticize, the editing seems like it is done professionally. For me, there was nothing to dislike about this book; it gave me a non-judgmental insight into the life of arguably the most talked-about person ever to grace the Earth. I, therefore, rate Bad 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to people who are looking for a clearer picture of what transpired in the life of Michael Jackson. However, sensitive readers may want to skip this book because of the profane words used throughout the text.

Bad
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

When I read the book i found the facts that were presented in this book sounds like the typical stories of the blogs during that time. It is an interesting perspective although I don’t agree with everything. I liked it I recommend it
Thank you for your reviews
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I've recently seen Leaving Neverland and even though I found it interesting and I don't feel like I'm in a position to doubt the truth of those who spoke up about their experiences, I also found the whole narrative very one-sided. Knowing that Bad aims to provide a non-judgmental account of Michael's life, I'll definitely get my hands on it. Thank you for your great review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I doubt that I will get a chance to read this book. I sometimes feel it would be best to forget. That is not easy though. However, I really liked your review and I agree with you that MJ was consistent in reaching greater heights in his work.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

I would love to know more about Michael Jackson. Nice review!
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

I haven't watched Finding Neverland because I am wondering why it took so long if these things were happening (I also dont have Netflix). However, I understand how difficult it would be to come forward against such a recognized and beloved celebrity. We may never know the truth, and I'm okay with that. I hope everyone can find piece with the situation as well.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Jackson is undoubtedly one of the saddest persons who ever lived on this earth. I've always been torn between compassion and disgust when talking about him. I guess we will never know the ultimate truth about the events in his life. Let it be so. Anyway, as a musician he was genius. Thanks for your well-written review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, this book sounds really intriguing. I would really love an insider look into the life of this great icon. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I never really liked Michael Jackson when he was alive. I think, mostly, this was out of some childish defiance as he was sooooo 'on the wave.' Only after his death did I get to see Thriller Live in West End, which lead to a personal discovery of a decade. I fell in love with his music and developed deep interest in his life. This is a must-read to me.

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I like that this is an unbiased approach. My mother is a huge fan of Michael Jackson, and would be interested in this.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

MJ has been an inspiration to people of all nationalities. I am really excited to read this book someday.
Nasinash
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Bound by Duty
Bookshelf Size: 31
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Nasinash »

I am very much curious to peek inside the legend's life!!
Thanks for the beautiful review!!
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

This read really sounds promising. Thanks for the Review, I can't wait to flip the pages of this tale.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

This book sound interesting, because it is not only about all the fame and glory but about who Michael really was. I will definitely read this one. Great review!
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I have only heard insinuated rumors of Michael Jackson's private matters. I would love to get a first row seat into an unbiased view of his life. Thanks for an informative review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”