Official Review: Last Pick by Jason Walz

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Last Pick by Jason Walz

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Last Pick" by Jason Walz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many filmmakers would have you believe that extraterrestrials are all bad, invading to wreak havoc on the human race, experimenting on us, enslaving us, etc. And so would author Jason Walz, for that is just what the aliens in his graphic novel, Last Pick, do.

The first book in what is to be a trilogy follows twins Sam and Wyatt after the unfriendly invaders have taken their parents, along with all the other humans who are not young, old, or "useless." The interlopers have also left some of their kind on Earth, the better to keep an eye on the homosapiens. Having lived on their own for three years, the duo are bound and determined to make the most of things, including helping others who were left behind and are even less fortunate than they. They are also hoping to find where their parents were taken and rescue them. But now the non-natives are returning; will the twins be in the next group of earthlings to be "scooped"?

I cannot overstate my love for a good alien abduction or invasion story, so this tale was like catnip for me, and I was all but rolling around on the floor in pleasure. The story had a steady pace, too, so I didn't feel like I had to either put on my running shoes to keep up or take Vivarin to stay awake. In addition to the main thread, the yarn also started each chapter with a few pages of what things were like before, so I was able to see for myself the bond that the children had with their parents, which added another intriguing layer to the journey. The many facets to Last Pick kept it from being just another alien story.

Sam and Wyatt were interesting characters to tag along with. What I liked most about them was the symbiotic relationship they had. Sam, the combative girl, was the brawn, while her sensitive brother, Wyatt, was the brains of the outfit. Rather than working against them, their differences actually worked for them, allowing them to accomplish a lot more than either of them could have managed on their own. The supporting characters were also useful, and I greatly enjoyed meeting them all. Of the secondary characters, my favorite was Charlie, an adult who came out of hiding to help the pair.

One of the things I like most about the Star Wars series is looking at all the different alien forms, and it's likewise one of the things that I most enjoyed about this book, though the alien bodies did tend to gross me out a bit. The comic book motif was perfect for this story, and the drawings kept me captivated. When I wasn't being sickened by one of the foreigners, I was admiring the world, decrepit though it was. I'm generally satisfied with reading digital books, but I could see myself forking over the money to get this series in paperback as well.

Last Pick was definitely edited, as I didn't find even one typographical error. I am therefore thrilled to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I wholeheartedly recommend this novel of graphics to fans of alien abduction and invasion stories, lovers of graphic novels, and people who like reading sci-fi in general. Even though there's no profanity or sex in the tale, I'd still warn that the subject matter may be a bit much for young readers, so caution should be taken before allowing them to crack this open. Also, as noted earlier, there are two more books to follow, so this tale ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. Bookworms who dislike hanging may want to bear this in mind before diving in. For my part, I fully intend to keep swimming.
There’s something comics and Lemony Snicket both seem to understand...Just when you start to get used to things...there’s always something new and unfortunate coming around the bend.
- El Sonido, Last Pick

Last Pick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Sam and Wyatt seem like interesting characters to me. Really enjoyed reading your review.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

This book sounds so interesting. I would like to try this book some day. Nice review.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The only alien abduction I have read and enjoyed was The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. In contrast to Arthur, Sam and Wyatt seem like strong characters. I would definitely check out this book. Thanks for a great review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

This graphic novel sounds exciting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

This seems to be a very interesting book. Nice review.
Briannachantay_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Briannachantay_ »

This book seems very good sound almost like a show on netflex called the "unlisted" this book seems to have alot of deep meaning to it which means theres most likely going to be a twist with it .Fabulous review
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I love the beginning of your review, and this sounds like quite an interesting read. Nice work.
Malebo khuinana

Post by Malebo khuinana »

I really enjoy watching extraterrestrial movies. This book is definitely on my must read list.
I love how you want into detail about the content featured in the book, it is good to know what you will be reading about. However that tends to be a bit of a spoiler, because I already know what to expect. That just takes the thrill out of the book, but still this book sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I cannot overstate my love for a good alien abduction or invasion story
I share your sentiments. Great review.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

This must be interesting. A good alien abduction story is a must-read for me.
Thanks for the great review.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

The book sounds quite intriguing. Extraterrestrial novels are always fascinating. We all at some point have wondered whether life beyond earth exists. I would want to read the novel.
Aleta_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aleta_123 »

Beyond amazing how this is so descriptive and detailed of this review for this novel.
Ndafoka

Post by Ndafoka »

Great review. Couldn't be any better than that and definitely got the overall view of the book and I love it
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I'm not given to alien stories. But I like your review. Nice

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”