Official Review: White Gloves by Karen Warfield

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Official Review: White Gloves by Karen Warfield

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White Gloves" by Karen Warfield.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Edmond Sebastian Rochurst’s entry into the world was as spectacular as any birth could be. His mother went into labor in the family chapel, amidst the strains of organists and singers. She saw it as a prophetic sign that the young prodigy was born under very unusual circumstances. At the age of four, his gift for music was evident. Only a few years later, he was giving piano recitals in the most exclusive venues in the world. He was the sole heir to his father’s vast railroad empire, and his extraordinary talent was the talk of the town. It seemed like Edmond’s future couldn’t get any brighter or more promising.

Unfortunately, there was a dark side to Edmond. As he matured, his preference for an alternative lifestyle, a thing unspoken of in those times, was a source of embarrassment to his family. Not only this, but his own despicable character began to manifest itself. He found unusual delight in terrorizing members of his household, especially his long-suffering wife and their mentally impaired daughter. What’s more, his unholy alliance with the immoral priest, Levi, took his wickedness to a different level altogether. Edmond stopped short of nothing to get what he wanted and heartlessly disposed of those who no longer served his needs.

It is under these circumstances that Edwina Wojneck, the daughter of a Polish coal miner, starts working as a laundry maid at Rochurst Manor. Sent away from home by her fractious mother, Edwina has to forgo all dreams of a better life and submit herself to her new and terrifying master. However, Edwina unknowingly has some powerful friends, people dedicated to seeing the Rochurst reputation and its fortune restored. Edwina, for her part, needs to have the courage to finally face her fears and boldly speak out about the terrible things she has witnessed.

Strong themes flow throughout this novel. The class distinction between the fabulously wealthy Rochursts and the servants that do their bidding is clearly presented. Towards the end, however, these boundaries become less distinct. There are strong references to homosexuality and suggestions of pedophilia, which are integral to the outcome of the story. The plight of the mentally ill is also dealt with, and the terrible institutions which housed them are described in explicit detail.

The characters are generally bold and well-developed. Although pivotal to the outcome, Edwina is not at the forefront for most of the story. A good deal of the book is devoted to providing a detailed background for the reader, chronicling the histories of the Rochurst and Wojneck families. Also, the family trees presented at the beginning of the book help the reader in clarifying the characters involved.

I can honestly say there is nothing I disliked about this book. I did, however, find the flow of the writing improved substantially after the first few chapters. The slightly awkward start gave me the impression that the author was still in the process of formulating her ideas. There were a few minor grammatical errors I noticed, mostly in the form of misplaced commas and word spacing. I think another round of editing would quickly eliminate these inconsistencies. There was only one mild profanity noted, and it was quite inoffensive. Although modestly presented, there are frequent references to illicit affairs, homosexuality, and pedophilia. This would make the novel totally unsuitable for young, impressionable readers or anyone sensitive to such matters.

I found White Gloves by Karen Warfield to be a very absorbing and poignant story. Women play a central role in the development of the plot, and the idea of “girl power” runs prominently throughout. For this reason, I expect it would be better received by women than men. It would definitely be appreciated by people who enjoy stories of female empowerment, especially in a time when women were afforded very few rights.

After careful consideration, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the editorial issues, the story was well constructed and pleasant to read. A good indicator of a successful book is the feelings it leaves the reader with once the last page is turned. I’m happy to say this book left me feeling satisfied and well-pleased with the outcome.

White Gloves
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

Though I don't usually read historical fiction, your amazing review made me want to pick up White Gloves. Thank you!
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

There are so many twist and turns that you don't expect. This book is definitely very captivating and a fun to read.
Thank you
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Your review had me feeling satisfied and well please ☺️. And, I would say I had an adrenal rush when I was reading the first part of this review. The idea of a perfect and promising musician, who is terribly flawed and ruthless, gave me this adrenal rush.
I love the whole idea of this book. And I will grab it at the first chance I get.
Live and let live, baby.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this book sounds rather intriguing. A talented, rich man with a nasty dark side. I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I had to add this to my shelf before I am commenting. I love the genre. And your review alone manage to awaken some strong emotion in me, I can only imagine what the book will do!

Thank you for such a detailed, insightful, and inviting review!
Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Koketso1998 »

This novel is definitely very captivating and a fun to read. Your review pushed me into giving it a try and I'm glad I did.
Nasinash
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Bound by Duty
Bookshelf Size: 31
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Nasinash »

I'm a great fan of historical fiction !!The way the story starts is so enthralling and the dark side of a man who is very much celebrated is keeping me intrigued . Besides, your review is kind of pulling me to read that book immediately!!
Awesome review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book really intrigued me. I really enjoyed reading your review. Hoping to read this book some day.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Sounds like quite an interesting ensemble of characters. Thanks for your review.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

This book seems quite engaging as it talks of the unexpected life of Edmond. Thanks for the insightful review.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Edmond seema like quite an unusual character. The book seems so intriguing.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Although modestly presented, there are frequent references to illicit affairs, homosexuality, and pedophilia.
Thanks for sharing this. Good review.
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

I believe there are some lessons to learn here. However, there are some strong scene as I can deduce from your review. However, it's a good review though!
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Thank you for your review. I've added the book to my shelf. Your last words are really helpful and convincing.
A good indicator of a successful book is the feelings it leaves the reader with once the last page is turned. I’m happy to say this book left me feeling satisfied and well-pleased with the outcome.

Return to “Historical Fiction”