Official Review: The Jolly Bupbup by Ann P Borrmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: The Jolly Bupbup by Ann P Borrmann

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Jolly Bupbup" by Ann P Borrmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Jolly Bupbup by Ann P. Borrmann is a children’s story about a Bupbup and a rainy day. The Bupbup is small with round eyes, a round tummy and hair growing up from the middle of her head. She is very jolly and friendly. One Wednesday, the Bupbup and her two cat companions are dismayed by a very rainy day. The cats do not go out in the rain, and the jolly Bupbup has no umbrella. They decide to watch the rain through the window of their little red house. There was a lot to see! The friends witnessed an unfortunate event that dimmed the Bupbup’s jolliness – for a time.

I really enjoyed this little book; it is perfect for young children. The text flowed with a nice rhythm. The font was child friendly; it was easy to read. Young readers are shown that things are not always as bad as they seem. They may also learn that, with some hard work and the help of a new friend, what was thought to be lost can be found again.

The story is beautifully illustrated. The artwork nicely matches the story. The only exception may be that the Bupbup is drawn very similarly to a young girl. It is hard to know if that was the author’s intent. There is no separate credit for an illustrator. While it may have been illustrated by the author, intuitively, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

One thing that threw me off a bit was that the book began with a poem about Twinkles. The poem about the elusive Twinkles, who love their naps and Thursday Tea, was nicely done. However, the transition to the Bupbup story was a bit abrupt. I was expecting more poetry or the continuation of the ‘Twinkle’ story. However, neither is the case.

The Bupbup tale starts in prose on the following page without any indication that it is not a continuation of the story of the poem. I would have found it helpful if this new section had a title. Having the poetry about the Twinkles at the end of the book may also work. The story is fantastical enough to support the mention of the Twinkles with more details following in the poem.

Overall, The Jolly Bupbup by Ann P. Borrmann is a lovely book that would be suitable for children ages three to five. Six to eight-year-olds may enjoy this story when they are learning to read. I did not find any grammar errors or typos within the book and my comments are fairly minor. As a result, I rate this children’s volume 4 out of 4 stars.

The Jolly Bupbup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
peace starts with a smile...
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I enjoy children's novels, especially because of my little nephews. Thanks for your lovely review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

First of all, how cute is the name Bupbup! :D I really like children's books especially like this one. I love reading them to my nephews and nieces. The message given by the story is so strong. We should not give up when everything goes wrong, instead we should hold on and make everything right. I really enjoyed your review. Thank you.
Rivas670
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rivas670 »

This is an amazing and motivational book for children. I loved the Bupbup character is very energetic.💜
ChrisO2424

Post by ChrisO2424 »

This book is very child friendly. If your looking for an easy but enjoyable book for your child, this book is the move. I read the book myself and very much enjoyed it. Thank you!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The book sounds cute.
And, your review is beautiful.
Live and let live, baby.
Cynthia-0713

Post by Cynthia-0713 »

This was such a cute children’s book, I loved reading it to my son
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

That's such a lovely book. Thanks for the review.
Latanya Rapley

Post by Latanya Rapley »

This is a good book, and as a mother I love this for my child. I definitely recommend this to anyone with a child.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

As the case for most children's books, teaching important moral values to children is the common theme. I think it is great that the situation of the characters appeals to the children.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I think that the situation the characters are in resonates well with most children. This would be a perfect read during the times when it is raining and the children cannot play outside.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

The Jolly Bupbup sounds like a lighthearted, sweet little book for children. Thank you for your great review! (Also, what a cute name "Bupbup" is!)
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

great story, great gift for the kids .
thank for the great review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

What an adorable story with so many valuable lesson for small children! I hope this is merely the first of many more "Bupbup" tales.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This seems so sweet and interesting! Especially because of the aforementioned illustrations which are often crucial in children’s books. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Children's Books”