Review by Magnify3 -- Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Magnify3 -- Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Magnify3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killing Abel is a historical Christian fiction novel by Michael Tieman. It explores the Genesis story from the fall of man till the flood with the author taking liberties as to how he thinks it could have happened by filling in the blanks.

God has created for himself two adult children that can procreate. Their names are Adam and Eve. They are only a few days old. They live in a paradise of a garden called Eden. Among many fruit trees in the garden are two significant trees. The fruit of one tree is forbidden while the other is ignored. There's an envious and deceptive Angel who can transform into a serpent in the garden as well. Instead of ministering to the couple, this Angel known as Lucifer decides to manipulate Eve. Through her, he can get to Adam. Then the family that God wanted will belong to Lucifer. What will God as a loving Father do to salvage his relationship with his children?

The author Michael Tieman is a Christian father of three children. He wrote the book not as a theologian but as another father telling the story of God as a loving Father. He creatively tells the story in the third person citing Bible passages where necessary. His writing is clear and easy to understand.

The story does contain the main Bible characters such as Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel. However, it also includes Eva among others who are not mentioned in the Bible. She is one of the many daughters of Adam and Eve. What I didn't expect to find was the author not only revealing God's speech as it is written in the Bible but the thoughts, discussions and feelings of the triune Godhead. Adam is seen as burdened and thoughtful over his guilt due to the rebellion. He grows as he finds peace with God and his purpose as a husband and father. Eve is seen to have feminist thinking after God's curse. As a parent, she loves her children and is ready to see them happy with whatever they desire. Eva is obsessed with her parents having a son, for her marry. Cain is arrogant, selfish and lives for himself. Abel is caring and desires to follow God.

The book is 369 pages long and has 15 chapters. The one I downloaded had 347 pages. Although it is well-formatted, its table of contents could do with some editing. It was a little difficult to tell the chapters from the sub-chapters. It is an interesting read given that the author was creative. However, I did not find it believable and wanted to stop reading it many times.

While I do enjoy reading Christian fiction and was keen to read this book, I did not enjoy it. I did not like the fact that God is not portrayed as Omniscient or even Omnipresent. The creator of the universe has to study his creation to know and understand it. God can see what takes place on earth but looks away when Adam and Eve kiss. In trying to show God as a loving father, the author limited God into thinking like a human father. The book is full of surprises with some changes to the original story. One is bound to query one's knowledge of the scriptures. Unfortunately, the book can also be misleading. The book also contains some inconsistencies. One such inconsistency is that Eve was seven days old at the time of the rebellion (page 15 line 4). Later on, as Adam remembers the rebellion, he says that he was only six days old (page 227 line 18).

This book is rated 3 out of 4 stars. I removed one star for the inconsistencies as well as the portrayal of God. The book does contain sex scenes most of which are behind closed doors. I am afraid that I can not recommend this book to anyone. Firstly, I do not agree with the authors' portrayal of God. Secondly, I do not want anyone to be misled by it even if it is fiction.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Wow. Your review is actually controversial and mind-blowing. I understand your grievance against the author's portrayal of God, but I think your conclusion (about not recommending this book to anyone) is a bit rash. Honestly, I would like to read the book for myself now.
Thank you for your honest review.
Live and let live, baby.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I liked this concept. I think I want to try this book. Thanks for your insightful review.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

What a detailed review! This book has been on my bookshelf. I need to read this book. Thank you for your recommendation.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 04:07 What a detailed review! This book has been on my bookshelf. I need to read this book. Thank you for your recommendation.
Thank you for taking time to read my review and posting a comment.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 23:50 I liked this concept. I think I want to try this book. Thanks for your insightful review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:53 Wow. Your review is actually controversial and mind-blowing. I understand your grievance against the author's portrayal of God, but I think your conclusion (about not recommending this book to anyone) is a bit rash. Honestly, I would like to read the book for myself now.
Thank you for your honest review.
Shah adil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shah adil »

İ liked your review so much and i want to read this book as soon as possible
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

Thanks for an honest review. I don't think I would want to read it.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book has an interesting and unique plot. But I understand your point about it. Thank you for the honest review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Shah adil wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 15:15 İ liked your review so much and i want to read this book as soon as possible
Thank you for taking time to read my review as well as posting a comment.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Lizziemarcel wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 13:51 Thanks for an honest review. I don't think I would want to read it.
Thanks for taking time to read my review. I am sure you will find something that suits you.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 11:25 This book has an interesting and unique plot. But I understand your point about it. Thank you for the honest review!
You are welcome...Thanks for the kind words and taking time to read my review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I understand your concerns about readers being misled. I do not enjoy historical fiction books about the Bible. Thank you for your honest review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I read this book sometime ago and appreciate your honest review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”