Official Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eddie Moskowitz was at work as usual at the Los Angeles Aqueduct Filtration Plant when he inspected the goldfish that were kept there and found them dead. (As a way to ensure the water was safe, the goldfish were kept in water from the filtration system that was refreshed daily.) Then, he observed several dead birds outside around the holding tanks. In a panic, experts were called in to investigate. Eventually, it was believed that the water was contaminated with polonium, an exceedingly rare type of toxic radioactive material that is difficult to discover. A sock was found in the water that was identified as being made in Iran, causing them to believe this was an Iranian terrorist attack.

Lara Edmond and Uri Levin were on their vacation in Los Angeles when they received a call from Bret Williams from the FBI office. Lara is a former FBI agent who presently works with Uri for Israel’s Mossad. They possess a lot of experience working on cases dealing with international terrorists and are requested to assist in this one. Because the FBI agents are extremely concerned that this is just the beginning of Iran’s plans, Lara and Uri are briefed, given new identities, and sent into danger into separate areas of Iran to gather intelligence.

Waterworks by Jack Winnick is book five in the series about Lara and Uri; however, it is a standalone story. It is a fast-paced novel that gets the reader’s attention from the first page and keeps them enthralled until the end of the tale. Written from the third-person point of view, both Lara and Uri are followed as they infiltrate the intelligence sources in Iran. It is a chilling account of what could happen in the U.S. without the constant counterintelligence to ward off attacks like this. Jack Winnick is “Professor Emeritus of Chemical Engineering at Georgia Tech” and has “a lifetime of scholarship on Middle East affairs.” Subsequently, he is uniquely qualified to write this book. As he says, “The technology is also real—and available.” This makes it even more frightening.

With so much to admire about this book, it is hard to pick out my favorite thing. However, one thing I particularly admire is the author’s attention to detail without being boring. Sometimes upon reading a spy novel, I’m left confused about how we got from point A to point B. This is not the case here. Everything is spelled out clearly in a straightforward language: obtaining new identities, entering Iran, and acquiring the necessary jobs to get access to the needed intelligence. All the details were impeccably laid out, and the questions were resolved by the conclusion of the story.

The sole thing I wasn’t crazy about was how easy it was for Lara to have access to confidential information. I think, realistically, it would have taken longer and been a lot harder to gain the confidence of superiors. However, this was a minor thing and didn’t affect my overall rating.

Because I enjoyed this book from the beginning to the end and only detected a few minor errors, Waterworks achieves a rating of four out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended for readers who appreciate fast-paced thrillers dealing with spies and terrorism. No sex other than kissing was seen in the book, and only infrequent minor profanities were observed. However, there is violence in the book, although it isn’t very descriptive. Because the subject of terrorism may provoke anxiety and because of the violence, I do not recommend it for children. Sensitive readers need to be aware of those things as well. This is definitely written from a pro-USA and pro-Israel viewpoint. If you find that offensive, you might want to look elsewhere.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, another book in the Uri and Lara series. I'd def love to check this one out. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Elvis Best wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 07:57 Wow, another book in the Uri and Lara series. I'd def love to check this one out. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
I haven't read the others, but I definitely enjoyed this one. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Maid to clean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maid to clean »

Great read. I would really enjoy reading this book.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have read a free sample of this book on BOTD. Would definitely check this one. Thanks for the amazing review.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

It has been a while since I read a spy novel, so maybe it is time to try this one out. A possible terrorist attack, an undercover mission.. I'm sure I will enjoy reading it. Thank you for the review!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I just love well-written thrillers and the stories about Lara & Uri have become one of my favorites. I can't wait to read how they solve this mystery... 😁 Thanks for your thorough review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Maid to clean wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 10:16 Great read. I would really enjoy reading this book.
I hope you get a chance to!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Priyanka2304 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 12:07 I have read a free sample of this book on BOTD. Would definitely check this one. Thanks for the amazing review.
I think you would enjoy it! Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

SenSen wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 12:30 It has been a while since I read a spy novel, so maybe it is time to try this one out. A possible terrorist attack, an undercover mission.. I'm sure I will enjoy reading it. Thank you for the review!
I truly think that you will! I know it mesmerized me!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 13:22 I just love well-written thrillers and the stories about Lara & Uri have become one of my favorites. I can't wait to read how they solve this mystery... 😁 Thanks for your thorough review!
This is the only one I have read so far, but I certainly enjoyed it. I hope you get a chance to read this one!
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

This is another Lara Edmond and Uri Levinstory. I always enjoy reading this 2 FBI agents stories.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Chickenwings00 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 06:31 This is another Lara Edmond and Uri Levinstory. I always enjoy reading this 2 FBI agents stories.
Then, I think you would enjoy this one!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read only the first novel of the Lara and Uri series and I liked it. As soon as I find some time between reviews, I'm going on with its sequels. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great read for spy thriller lovers :) I appreciate that the story is not unnecessary complicated. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”