Official Review: Discredited Citizen by Robert Kiesling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Official Review: Discredited Citizen by Robert Kiesling

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Discredited Citizen" by Robert Kiesling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Discredited Citizen by Robert Kiesling is a cautionary tale that mixes science fiction and legal thriller. In 2030, Dr. Doug Mann lives in a smart city where artificial intelligence controls the criminal justice system. There are still some crimes, so there are still cops, human and robotic. One day Dr. Mann stumbles into a human cop who's been shot and tries to help him, but it's too late. When robot officers arrive, they accuse him of murder. John Keys is a human lawyer who accidentally discovers that case and offers his services, but evidence indicates that Dr. Mann is guilty, why is that?

Robert Kiesling imagines a future based on technologies that are mostly already available. Even artificial intelligence is already used in various forms, for example, to gather the data you give away in many ways and profile you. In that future, robots are used in courts of law and to assist human cops in watching over the human population, but who watches the watchers?

When Dr. Doug Mann is accused of killing a human cop he just tried to save, he finds himself at the mercy of a justice system where guilt can be assessed in minutes by artificial intelligence. He could avoid the death penalty admitting guilt, but he's innocent. His human lawyer seems the only one who sees that things don't add up, but his investigation goes against Zon, the corporation that created the artificial intelligence and the service robots.

2030 is probably too soon for a smart city like the book's setting to exist. Some more technological advancements are needed, followed by important legal changes. Maybe the author wanted the readers to feel that future close to them, but it seems unlikely. This is the only thing in this book I didn't like.

Timeline apart, I felt this novel was thought-provoking because the themes addressed are very important and will become crucial with every technological advancement. Our society has become complex, so a lot of people don't even try being aware of how it works. That goes from big political and social issues to everyday tasks.

Understanding new technologies requires effort, also because you need to keep updated as they get improved over time. The result is that you can use technologies or you might suffer the consequences of your lack of knowledge. If you let someone else use technologies for you, they will control your life exactly like it's already happening, for example on the Internet. Another consequence is you can't check someone's honesty if you don't know how they're using certain technologies. For example, if you don't understand how your data are gathered on the Internet, how can you check if the companies that use your data are complying with the laws? Imagine what could happen if no one could control those companies.

The book contains profanities, but not sexual references. The complexities of the themes are what in my opinion make it suitable for adults or at least to teenagers who have a certain awareness concerning the consequences of use, misuse, and abuse of technologies. It contains a few errors, but they didn't detract from my enjoyment.

In my opinion, this cautionary tale is important and well developed limiting technical jargon to the minimum, so my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. The developments seen in the plot require some big changes, but I got the impression that it's a realistic future. That means it offers a lot of food for thought and can help you improve your awareness about control of technologies. That's why I think everybody should read Discredited Citizen.

Discredited Citizen
View: on Bookshelves
Ciao :)
Massimo
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

What an interesting murder mystery book. I hope Dr mann would be in the clear and the real killer caught. Nice review
nafula mukhono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafula-mukhono.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by nafula mukhono »

Sounds educative and interesting!
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

“He could avoid the death penalty admitting guilt, but he's innocent.”

This reminds me a lot of The Crucible! This one sounds a bit freaky but super engrossing. Thank you for the detailed review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

TADSAILS wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 05:56 What an interesting murder mystery book. I hope Dr mann would be in the clear and the real killer caught. Nice review
You need to read the novel to discover how it ends. :wink: Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 07:03 “He could avoid the death penalty admitting guilt, but he's innocent.”

This reminds me a lot of The Crucible! This one sounds a bit freaky but super engrossing. Thank you for the detailed review!
If you mean Arthur Miller's play, Discredited Citizen is not about witch hunts, it's about awareness, power, and control. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

This book seems to be an interesting interesting, although there will be emotions, due to false accusations and misinformation. I will definitely want to read this. Thanks for an honest review.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Sounds really cool, I hope I will get my hand around it soon. Thank you for your excellent review :)
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Lizziemarcel wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 07:46 This book seems to be an interesting interesting, although there will be emotions, due to false accusations and misinformation. I will definitely want to read this. Thanks for an honest review.
The protagonist is quite emotional after getting accused of murder. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Alexandros92 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 07:59 Sounds really cool, I hope I will get my hand around it soon. Thank you for your excellent review :)
Have fun, and thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this book sounds very interesting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Elvis Best wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 10:24 The plot of this book sounds very interesting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
I found it very interesting indeed. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

This will be thrilling.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

When you put it like this, I probably should take sci-fi novels more seriously, I try to keep up with technology, though. I have read about robot-run hotels, so the book's premise doesn't seem farfetched at all. Thanks for your eye-opening review.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

Sounds like an exciting book that explores some fascinating and relevant topics.Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”