Review by Gathoni1991 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Gathoni1991 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

Post by Gathoni1991 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 is a collection of short stories, a novella and two graphically illustrated books. The book is written by William H. Coles. The settings of the stories are spread out, both in time and locations. The themes too vary with the stories, though there are themes that have been been repeated in a number of stories. They range from child trafficking to infidelity.

The book opens with a story called 'The Gift'. It's a story about teenage pregnancy and abortion. Agnes was distraught because of her teenage daughter's pregnancy. She resorted to making her have an abortion. Therefore, she took her to the family's gynecologist to have him perform an abortion on Catherine. The doctor refuses, as he held the opinion that all life is precious. But Agnes is stubborn, and is determined to maintain the family's image by all costs. Will she succeed?

'Speaking of the dead' is a story of one man John Hampton, who had to undergo the harrowing experience of burrying a wife who had left him for her boss. This is a story that is classical of William H. Coles, as he loves writing on matters love and betrayal. 'Homunculus' is a story set in medieval Europe. It is a tale that tells of a female dwarf known as Didi, who fell hard in love with a famous actor called Lazlo. I held my breath reading this story, because I smelled disaster especially when she expressed her feelings to him. Will Lazlo put her off kindly or, will he take advantage of her and later make fun of her? 'Dr. Greiner's Day in Court' is a story about a man who has been accused of killing his wife, leaving behind two children. On this particular day, his sister-in-law and his two children, head to the court optimistic that he will be released on bail. Will their wish come true? The novella in the book is called 'Sister Carrie'. It tells the story of a seventeen-year-old girl who falls for a stranger on the internet. Carrie claims that she and Zamel love each other so much, yet they barely know each other. Zamel is a male student who is in the USA on student visa. But that is not all there is to him. He is from Iran and the FBI are investigating him, as he is believed to be connected with people who are planning to bomb the USA. These and other many short stories fill up the pages of the book.

The book has a total of thirty four short stories, two graphic novel illustrations and one novella. The themes that arise from the book include: teenage pregnancy, child trafficking, love and romance, betrayal and infidelity, flawed justice systems as well as rogue religious leaders. The beauty of short stories is that they are pithy, thus the themes are very much out there.

The language used to narrate the stories is simple, but beautified with a vast vocabulary. The choice of words plus the phrasing of sentences, made the stories a delight to read. I loved how the author was very relatable in the stories, as the issues tackled were very much contemporary. That is very much like William H. Coles. There is no aspect of the book I disliked. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was top notch. The typesetting too was impeccable. I recommend the book to lovers of short stories and graphically illustrated stories.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I agree with you. The book is perfect! Dr. William Coles' masterpieces never failed to amaze me.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Gathoni1991
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Yea me too. Thanks for passing by.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Nice review! This is also one of my latest reviews and I must say that the author has done a good job.
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 02:12 Nice review! This is also one of my latest reviews and I must say that the author has done a good job.
Yea sure. Thank you for reading and commenting on my review.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book seems very interesting. I have read a lot of reviews about this book and all of them talk about how great it is. Thanks for such great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”