Official Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Talking Baobab Tree" by Nelda LaTeef.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Talking Baobab Tree is a children’s book written and illustrated by Nelda LaTeef. The story introduces young readers to Johari, the rabbit, who is lost in the desert and happens to find shelter in the shade of the mighty baobab tree. The tree passes on wisdom and, later in the story, Johari must use her wits to outsmart an adversary who is driven by envious motives.

I did not find it difficult to fall in love with this whimsical tale. It was beautiful to see and experience the story through the vibrant and colorful artwork throughout the book. The quality scrapbook-like illustrations combined with the handwriting-like font added texture and made me want to exchange the PDF version that I reviewed for a physical copy to add to my bookshelf. The pictures also made it fun to laugh at sweet little Johari’s reaction to the first words she heard spoken by the tree and marvel at the secret hidden within the baobab!

The book was also full of educational value despite the simplicity of the story. In the author’s note, LaTeef shares the history of the baobab tree, and she incorporates this information throughout the tale. She further explains visiting a Wolof village in the region of Dakar, Senegal, and hearing the story from which The Talking Baobab was derived. Additional information about the Wolof people was included in the author’s note as well.

I loved the Wolof proverbs woven throughout the text and felt that there were so many thought-provoking lines. LaTeef even included some Wolof words, including oubi, which means open and jerry-jef, which means thank you. When the story concludes, readers will see how the author applied the vocabulary within the context, revealing another profound lesson.

In reflection, I did not find anything to dislike about the book. The pages were well-edited, and I saw no countable errors. Therefore, I gladly reward The Talking Baobab Tree a 4 out of 4. Johari’s adventure is a great tale to be shared with young readers. The language is simple and easy to read aloud, so independent young readers may want to give it a try. Adults may also enjoy reading the simple story with their kids to discuss the outcomes and discover some great teaching moments.

The Talking Baobab Tree
View: on Bookshelves
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I will add it to my kids' collection bookshelves. Thank you for the review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Judging from my experience, children enjoy new knowledge the most when it's taught through a story. Learning a little about the Wolof people sounds promising. Great review!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Thanks for the detailed review. I am recommending this to my sister and her kids straightaway!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a lovely story to teach both kids and adults about African flora, fauna, and culture. I agree with your comment about the illustrations and the font.

I like to collect physical copies of books too. There's something special about holding a tangible book and turning the pages... I may be old-fashioned, but it's a feeling that isn't matched by electronic books.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

A children's book with important lessons sounds great. The proverbs and the vocabulary seem to be good to teach kids as well. Thanks for the great review!
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Wow! This sounds like a valuable resource for parents and teachers alike! It is always heartening to find a tale that is beautifully illustrated and well edited, as well as contains important lessons. Thanks for a great review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The illustrations in this book sound out-of-this-world. I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I wish to read this book for myself now that I have read your review! Good job!
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Children would love to be told such stories. I would love to read it to them as well. Thanks for the nice review.
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

I love reading children's story books so, this is like one I would like so, I'll download it straightaway. Thanks for a great review.
alex986
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alex986 »

:D I really love that story about the baobab talking tree this is not just for children it is also for adults
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I have always expressed my appreciation for children’s books that have deeper meanings and lessons for the kids. I like how culture is woven into this story. This looks like a piece the kids will enjoy.

Nice job with the review!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

With the mention of whimsical trees, envious adversaries, and a wee rabbit named Johari, I’m hooked! Thanks for such a ‘hoppy’ review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Kids would definetly have fun reading this book. Illustrations would keep them hooked. Thanks for the review

Return to “Children's Books”