Review by sierra_rosemarie -- Burn Zones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sierra_rosemarie
Currently Reading: What If
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra-rosemarie.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07TMJ1R3X

Review by sierra_rosemarie -- Burn Zones

Post by sierra_rosemarie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones is a profound memoir by Jorge P. Newbery following his life and the unique difficulties he was forced to overcome. After throwing himself into challenge after challenge his whole life, he was finally faced with a dilemma that even his unwavering resolve and can-do attitude couldn’t solve. His real-estate empire is put in jeopardy when a single ice storm shuts down his biggest project yet. Now drowning in debt and in the darkest point of his life, he once again decides that he can learn lessons from his failures. Newbery offers some of these wonderful insights he has gathered from that challenge and his whole life about overcoming your own obstacles and about humanity as a whole.

What I liked most about this work was how it moves the reader to want to apply Newbery’s life attitude to their own journey. His infectious enthusiasm and zest for life oozes through the pages, encouraging any reader to try to emulate his ardor in his or her own life. However, don’t get the impression that the book is naively optimistic or unrealistic. In fact, it’s quite the contrary. The autobiography captures the raw hardship that our society can bring while offering the idea that grit and determination will carry you wherever you want to go.

Burn Zones combines sound life advice and wisdom with very good storytelling. Despite being an autobiography, Newbery keeps the reader engaged and interested in what he has to say. The proper use of engaging the reader allows Newbery to convey his many life lessons, all of which can be applied in all walks of life. In fact, that is why I don’t have anything I really disliked about this writing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Reading Burn Zones offers a unique view into what it means to be an entrepreneur and an innovator, and Jorge Newbery’s ability to overcome challenges leaves you feeling like you can do whatever you want to in life even though things won’t always go your way.

I recommend this memoir to people of any interest, however, I think it will be best enjoyed by a more mature audience. While there is not any profanity or graphic scenes, save a few minor incidences, a younger reader might not be able to grasp the themes about life and challenges simply because they haven't lived long enough to understand them. The book was very well edited and definitely earned it’s four stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't really enjoy memoirs much. I'm glad that the author was able to pull himself out of these Burn Zones and make something of his life. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I read the sequel, titled "Debt Cleanse," and was really impressed with this author. I keep meaning to read "Burn Zones," but it never quite makes it to the top of the pile. Thanks for an excellent review. :D
rwalkup
Currently Reading: The Copper Gauntlet
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwalkup.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by rwalkup »

I like how this book isn't overly optimistic, but still has that passion for life. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”