Official Review: Acrobatic Amy by Paige Turner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Acrobatic Amy by Paige Turner

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Acrobatic Amy" by Paige Turner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paige Turner's Acrobatic Amy is a picture book featuring twenty-six poems about different characters. It starts with Acrobatic Amy and goes on in alphabetical order until Zany Zoe, teaching children new words and important life lessons along the way. The book is aimed at students in the primary grades from Kindergarten to Grade 3.

The author is an experienced educator with a career that spanned thirty-two years as she taught a variety of subjects. Her knowledge and insights definitely show in this book, structured to help children learn the alphabet and vowel and consonant sounds. The combination of rhymes, humor, and alliteration makes for an engaging and fun experience and also provides further learning opportunities: students might be prompted to explore rhythm, patterns, and maybe even create poems themselves.

Teachers and parents have access to several proposed activities in the "Teaching Points" section at the end of the book. There are suggestions for every character and poem except for one (Quiet Quin); I don't know whether or not the omission was intentional. The activities range from developing linguistic skills to building positive character traits and moral foundations. They also include simple questions that get students to explore and share their interests.

Though this isn't necessarily a flaw, I have some reservations regarding the poem about Tattletale Tony. A clear distinction should be made between necessary reporting and idle tattling since many children need to learn the opposite lesson: reporting bullying behavior and problematic situations doesn't make one a "tattletale" and should, in fact, be encouraged. Obviously, it's possible to become overzealous, but the poem doesn't make that distinction. Since the book is designed for guided reading, educators can discuss the subject further and clarify it, but it would be nice if the "Teaching Points" section brought this up.

Acrobatic Amy is an excellent teaching resource that manages to educate and entertain. It's also exceptionally edited, as I found no errors, and the illustrations feature a simple but endearing art style. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone tutoring young children. As mentioned before, the book is designed for guided reading; children reading on their own might have trouble with words such as "vim" and "xylophone" and might be unable to get the most out of the book.

Acrobatic Amy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Wow! This sounds like an invaluable resource for both teachers and parents of young children. I am interested to see what name and adjective the author used for 'X'. Thanks for the fabulous review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

I remember I always loved the rhyming books as a child. I don't necessarily agree with you on the presence of difficult words. I was one of those children who longed for the unknown and hard-to-pronounce words, though admittedly that group may be small. Great review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Thanks for this thorough review. I agree with your point that this book would serve as a handy tool for parents and teachers. I also agree that children should be taught the difference between "necessary reporting and idle tattling". Without knowing the difference, children tend to keep harmful incidents to themselves which would eventually be detrimental to their growth. Great job!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I appreciate your detailed review. I like the idea of using poetry to educate and entertain children. Seeing as the book is for assisted readers, I suppose the flaws you pointed out will make for interesting conversations with kids on the subject. It would be nice to know what they consider idle tattling.
Vnicoloff
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vnicoloff »

New to site , looking forward to reviewing. It sure helps to read veterans reviews. Thank you
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A detailed review, thanks
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This looks like one of those rhyming books I read when I was a kid. Thanks for the review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Koltrast wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 04:36 I remember I always loved the rhyming books as a child. I don't necessarily agree with you on the presence of difficult words. I was one of those children who longed for the unknown and hard-to-pronounce words, though admittedly that group may be small. Great review!
Ms_Rita30 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 05:16 Thanks for this thorough review. I agree with your point that this book would serve as a handy tool for parents and teachers. I also agree that children should be taught the difference between "necessary reporting and idle tattling". Without knowing the difference, children tend to keep harmful incidents to themselves which would eventually be detrimental to their growth. Great job!
Michelle Fred wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:15 I appreciate your detailed review. I like the idea of using poetry to educate and entertain children. Seeing as the book is for assisted readers, I suppose the flaws you pointed out will make for interesting conversations with kids on the subject. It would be nice to know what they consider idle tattling.
Vnicoloff wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:41 New to site , looking forward to reviewing. It sure helps to read veterans reviews. Thank you
Dayodiola wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 12:40 A detailed review, thanks
Priyanka2304 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 13:39 This looks like one of those rhyming books I read when I was a kid. Thanks for the review.
Valkyrie9 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 01:58 Wow! This sounds like an invaluable resource for both teachers and parents of young children. I am interested to see what name and adjective the author used for 'X'. Thanks for the fabulous review!
Thanks for the comments!
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

It sure sounds like a fun book. Rhyming words has always been my favorite.
#RecordBreaker
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I love to see books that aid children with learning. Nice job. Thanks for the review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Chinelookeke wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 11:29 I love to see books that aid children with learning. Nice job. Thanks for the review.
Rachel_Emmanuel wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 07:24 It sure sounds like a fun book. Rhyming words has always been my favorite.
Thanks for the comments!
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

I’m that this book comes from the stables of an experienced tutor and governess. She sure seems to know her way around kids. Thanks for the review.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Poetry as a pedagogic tool sounds like a brilliant idea.
Nice review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 22:56 Poetry as a pedagogic tool sounds like a brilliant idea.
Nice review!
Fernando222 wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 01:28 I’m that this book comes from the stables of an experienced tutor and governess. She sure seems to know her way around kids. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Children's Books”