Official Review: The Omen Tree by Fredrick Niles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kaylac03
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylac03.html
Latest Review: Ad Infinitum by William Fripp

Official Review: The Omen Tree by Fredrick Niles

Post by kaylac03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Omen Tree" by Fredrick Niles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Omen Tree by Fredrick Niles, not all is as it seems in the small town of Poplar, Wisconsin. Danger and unknown horrors lurk at every turn. The seemingly quiet town of Poplar has kept its secrets well . . . until a serial killer awakens dark and inexplicable forces. Ella, Ben, and Ian are among the first to notice the unusual happenings, and when monsters—otherworldly and otherwise—start surfacing, the three children’s paths converge as they struggle to come to grips with the mysteries unfurling around them. Will Ella, Ben, and Ian find the answers they seek and stop the evil threatening their small town, or will they fall prey to it like countless others before them? Read the book to find out—just not before bed.

The Omen Tree is filled with captivating descriptions, epic foreshadowing, and realistic characters. This novel provided an excellent study of its characters, and while this did occasionally slow the story down, it also provided valuable information to help me connect with and understand the characters and their motives. Still, I was hoping for more action. There was enough suspense to make up for that, but I would have loved for there to have been more close encounters with the supernatural and with the main antagonist. At the same time, I appreciated how well developed the setting and characters were, and many of the details that seemed irrelevant at first actually came into play later in the story, which I found fascinating.

Most loose ends were tied up satisfactorily by the end of the book, but there were some questions brought up toward the end that left it open for a sequel. Still, I can walk away from The Omen Tree content enough. If Fredrick Niles writes a sequel, I will definitely be checking it out. Until then, I’m happy with the path each character’s arc followed. There was plenty of intrigue in the mysteries surrounding the murders and the monsters to keep me on the edge of my seat. While I was able to predict a couple of twists, others pleasantly surprised me. The three main characters were adolescents, but this isn’t a children’s book. There were no sexual situations, but considering the mild gore and the many instances of profanity, I would say this work is more suited for adults and mature young adults.

As much as I liked this novel, it could use another round of editing. Many of the errors were easy to overlook, but others were not. As I mentioned, the story did occasionally drag, but part of that could have been because I was so excited to get to the bottom of everything. The story seemed carefully structured to allow for the maximum amount of character development. It defied my expectations because I thought, based off the genre, there would be more action and horror elements earlier on in the story. While there was a good deal of strange and ominous occurrences, things slowed back down after the first body was found and didn’t really start steadily gaining speed again until later on.

In conclusion, I rate The Omen Tree 3 out of 4 stars. I took off a star mainly for the errors I found. I still feel some of the details could have been cut out to aid with flow even though many of them did end up resurfacing later. I didn’t find this to be a very graphic story, but those sensitive to themes of domestic abuse and murder may become uncomfortable. Fans of the supernatural and of mysteries with exceptionally well-rounded characters and a touch of horror will likely find this story enthralling. In all, this was a great read and I definitely recommend others check it out.

The Omen Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Blood Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Central Swirlio by Quiche de Flurry

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing supernatural mystery, and the fact that characters are well developed makes it more interesting. With another round of proofreading it might be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Ghosts Down Under
Bookshelf Size: 354
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life by Jeffrey Paul Bailey
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Ooh! This sounds like a spooky tale similar to those collected and told by the Brothers Grimm. I agree with your comment that excessive descriptions can drag a story down, but I would still be willing to read this one.

Thank you for a wonderful review. :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
kaylac03

Post by kaylac03 »

NetMassimo wrote: ↑18 Jul 2020, 01:52 This seems an intriguing supernatural mystery, and the fact that characters are well developed makes it more interesting. With another round of proofreading it might be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
It certainly was a great read, and another round of proofreading would definitely have kicked it up to the next level. I'm glad you enjoyed the review, thank you for reading and commenting!
kaylac03

Post by kaylac03 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: ↑18 Jul 2020, 02:01 Ooh! This sounds like a spooky tale similar to those collected and told by the Brothers Grimm. I agree with your comment that excessive descriptions can drag a story down, but I would still be willing to read this one.

Thank you for a wonderful review. :techie-studyingbrown:
I recommend it. I didn't regret reading it, even when I felt like it was lagging. It's still an enjoyable story. And that's a pretty good comparison that I hadn't thought of until now! It's also somewhat reminiscent of some of Stephen King's works--in character development especially. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you check it out. I'm happy you liked my review, thank you for commenting!
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Read the book to find out—just not before bed.
I'll keep that in mind, as I do not love having scary dreams at all. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I love suspense. This is exactly my kind of book. I look forward to reading this someday. Thanks for the nice review.
Dayodiola
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A book with enough care on characterization. How fascinating that would be?
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

The name of the book is so so interesting, and the fact that the author cared for characterization is so great. Guess I know what I'm reading next! Thanks for this great review.
Christieee
2021 Reading Goal: 300
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Testaments From Survivors - Women Healed & Whole by Raven Spencer

Post by Christieee »

Reading this review made the hairs on my neck stand. It must be quite the horror.

Your review painted a vivid picture; I loved it.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I am reading a book on the similar theme, so I can identify a lot with your review of the book. Thanks for the review.
Wy_Bertram
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: Nighthawk and Little Elk (German Edition) by Eelonqa K. Harris

Post by Wy_Bertram »

It's funny how description can both uplift and bring down a narrative. Regardless, this sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the amazing review.
kaylac03

Post by kaylac03 »

Elvis Best wrote: ↑18 Jul 2020, 13:02
Read the book to find out—just not before bed.
I'll keep that in mind, as I do not love having scary dreams at all. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
Thank you! Yes, there were many parts that were rather creepy. :D It was a great read, but I, unfortunately, did make the mistake of reading certain scenes before bed, so I speak from experience, lol.
kaylac03

Post by kaylac03 »

Chinelookeke wrote: ↑18 Jul 2020, 19:10 I love suspense. This is exactly my kind of book. I look forward to reading this someday. Thanks for the nice review.
Glad to hear it! This might just be right up your alley, and Halloween is around the corner, so it's perfect timing. Thank you for commenting, I'm glad you enjoyed my review!
kaylac03

Post by kaylac03 »

Dayodiola wrote: ↑18 Jul 2020, 19:24 A book with enough care on characterization. How fascinating that would be?
I know what you mean. This book definitely has it, though. You might like to check it out if you're hungry for a character-centric story. :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”