Official Review: Pop's Place: Some Things Are Meant To Be

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Pop's Place: Some Things Are Meant To Be

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pop's Place: Some Things Are Meant To Be" by T. A. Blitch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pop’s Place: Some Things Are Meant To Be by T.A. Blitch is an absorbing historical fiction novel with elements of romance, drama, and adventure. Readers are lead through a fascinating fictional foray of the past and present of the main character’s life, which were highly inspired by actual events.

After enduring years of intense conflict at the frontlines of the Second World War, Jackson Harrison, also known as “Pop” to his team members, returns home hoping to start anew. However, memories from the war and his childhood nightmares threaten to steal any chance of him attaining any peace within. After opening Pop’s Place, a boarding house, Pop is excited to have his first customer. Unbeknownst to him, she’s keeping secrets from him and is not who she seems. On the other hand, as his new venture kicks off, Pops gains a new unconventional love interest. Will Pops follow his heart, or will he let logic override his shot at love with the woman he adores?

Author T.A. Blitch strikes a good balance between showcasing the main character’s experience in the US Naval Academy in Annapolis versus his life experience in the little Sullivan’s Island in Charleston. Blitch’s knowledge and experience in naval aviation become even more evident when he details Pop’s war flights. The vivid description of Pop’s attempt to maneuver a crash landing had me on the edge of my seat with bated breath.

Whenever I choose to read a book, I usually build my expectations around it based on the novel’s cover and summary. This book turned out to be way better than my original expectations. The author is a formidable writer, whose first-rate writing skills elevated the story to where it needed to be. The descriptions of time and place were both evocative and satisfying. It goes without saying that Blitch’s writing style transported me to the characters’ world with ease. Further, the dialogues between characters flowed naturally.

The multidimensional cast of characters were not only likable but also relatable, except for Agnes. Throughout the narrative, we only got to see Agnes’s dark and manipulative side. On the flip side, Michaela, Pop’s friend’s daughter, and Pop himself both showed notable character growth.

This page-turner left me longing for more with each and every chapter. From the ashes of war to dealing with PTSD to the main character potentially finding love, there simply wasn’t a dull moment. I particularly enjoyed the palpable growing tension and attraction between the two love interests. In addition to the sizzling romance, there was a good amount of historical facts to be found in the narrative.

I’d highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Second World War era, navy aviation, and some historical romance. The book is not only well-written but also professionally edited. Additionally, the setting, plot, and characters all came together to create a captivating read. I rate this great read 4 out 4 stars.

Pop's Place: Some Things Are Meant To Be
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

Will Pops follow his heart, or will he let logic override his shot at love with the woman he adores? These are interesting questions, and I itch for answers. I think I'll enjoy this one as much as you did. Your 4 out of 4 ratings say a lot about how well written this novel was. Thanks for this review.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I would love to try this book. I like historical books, I have read a couple of them and I would appreciate if I knew what this specific book entailed. Thanks for the great review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

It is always a great thing to discover a perfect book! Thank you for a very nice review, you just made me want to read this, too... :)
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I'm a fan of historical fiction novels, especially with elements of romance, drama, and adventure like this one. I'll definitely read this one. Thanks for your incredible review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

Great review.A historical romance set during world War 2, what a nice combination.It will make a an interesting read.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This seems like a very interesting book to read. I'm sure historical fiction fans will love this book.
Jillian Lockman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jillian Lockman »

Thank you for reviewing this historical novel set in the South. I enjoy reading about WWII stories and add the romance in is an added bonus. Pop is a nice Navy hero who is a romantic man and all the drama that surrounds this story set in the South. It has all the ingredients for a major motion picture. Your review is accurate about this wonderful story that is beautifully and well-written.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the fact that the book exceeded your expectations. I'd like to read about the author's experiences after the war. Nice review.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Sounds like a great read, thank you for the review! I enjoy historical fiction and this books sound like a nice blend of the things that make a book worth reading.
-Thea M. Frederick
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I am not into reading historical accounts that much. The review was amazing, though.

Return to “Historical Fiction”