Official Review: El Paso by Michael Van Cleve

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: El Paso by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "El Paso" by Michael Van Cleve.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Turbulent times can feel apocalyptic. When a natural disaster strikes, the systems of recent centuries can seem fragile compared with ancient powers or laws. These and other themes are examined in a fictional way in El Paso by Michael Van Cleve.

The novel gets off to an alarming start for protagonist Larona Shah. In the aftermath of her best friend's suicide and boyfriend's murder, she is kidnapped by would-be human traffickers. Things are looking bleak for Larona when more powerful forces intervene. After escaping her captors during a flood, she is washed up outside a church. How will the priest help her heal and find refuge from the criminals?

I loved the images of Larona being swept along by the floodwaters on a purple couch, for that part of the story was in comic form. Through what the author rightly terms an experimental approach, the story is narrated using a mix of pictures, documents like court reports, text messages, and more. This caused rapid changes in perspective, which had the drawback of making me feel distanced from the characters. On the one hand, I would have liked to get to know them better by staying with them for longer. Larona developed slightly, but the impact the events had on her could have been explored more. On the other hand, the switching did make for an exhilarating pace. The author signposted everything clearly and gave readers enough to work with.

As the reader has to piece together the story from different sources, some concentration is required to follow it. I thoroughly appreciated that aspect. Perhaps because it demands reader alertness, this is a thought-provoking tale. For example, Larona's boyfriend Michael was a soldier with passionate religious beliefs. This theme is developed through an exploration of what it means to be a warrior that also moves into spiritual terrain. With a focus more on spiritual aspects than anything specific to any religion, this book could suit those of all religions or none.

If you're interested in such themes and would enjoy a mixed-media thriller, this one is for you. It might not appeal to those who prefer more traditional storytelling approaches. As you will have gathered from the summary, the subject matter is heavy. Topics include substance abuse and graphically depicted violence. As a result, this book would not be recommended for younger or more sensitive readers. In that vein, there is also some strong language.

The language is not gratuitous as it accurately reflects the way the characters would talk. The author showed great creativity in imagining social media conversations and posts, for example. One exchange was complete with an "A**hole in The Comments Section"; this character was perhaps more of a devil's advocate than a troll.

In keeping with the realistic language, the various texts include some spelling and grammatical errors. As these can be considered plausible representations of the characters' writing levels, I categorized them as "uncounted". As a result, I did not deduct a star in this regard; counted errors weren't an issue. Although it won't suit all tastes, this work deserves four out of four stars. This is because it is so imaginative, novel, and mentally stimulating. The packaging is attractive too, with exquisite work by the artists.

El Paso
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a really good read. I am particularly interested in the fact that it is partially in a comic form. I am intrigued as to how the author has managed this so I will have to have a look for myself.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

In sampling this book, I found it difficult to switch from one medium to another and maintain the flow of the story, but I truly admired the author’s creativity. Thank you for this thorough review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I admire how thoroughly you analysed this book.
Great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds a bit complicated to me, but I'm sure the book finds its reader :) Thank you for a great review!
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I love the sound of a "mixed-media thriller.". Thanks for this review. Sounds like a harrowing experience for the main character. However, I don't get the book's cover. To me it has a sci-fi look. Hopefully, reading the book helps the cover make more sense. I took a look at the sample on Amazon and it actually looks like a lot of fun, and the price (free) is right. Downloaded!
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I had an opportunity to take a peek at this ''experimental approach'' and I really liked it! Now, having read your review, I am certain I want to read the whole thing :)

Thank you for such a thorough and insightful review! :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I got a free copy of this book when it was BOTD last month. I am curious about the novel approach. I hope I will have time to enjoy it soon. Gracias for an incisive review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book has so much to offer to the readers. Thanks for the amazing review.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

This is brilliant! The recommendation is quite specific and I loved that about the review.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

Thanks for your review. I learned from it.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Topics include substance abuse and graphically depicted violence
Honest review. Good job.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”