Review by fadjei -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by fadjei -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is a work of fiction that tells a wonderful story about a connection with family, friends, and heritage. Tom is getting ready for a backpacking trip to the Olympic Peninsula when an unexpected guest arrives at his door. Standing before him is his granddaughter who he was unaware existed. Obviously rattled by this discovery, Tom thinks of postponing his trip but his friends Myra and William convince him to take Sarah with him on their backpacking trip to visit the grave of Tom's father and what would be Sarah's great-grandfather.

Strong Heart is a book filled with adventure as well as magic. What I liked most about the book was the emphasis on reconnecting with one's roots and learning about your cultural heritage. Sarah had lost all of her family and her grandfather was the last person that she had. Through the backpacking trip, she and her grandfather develop a great relationship and he tells her incredible stories about their heritage and where they come from.

As noted, there are magic/fantastical elements in this story which makes the book all the more exciting. Sarah sees a bear that was supposed to have been extinct for thousands of years and then she disappears for eight days into some other world. When she is found she recounts the most fascinating tales of her adventures. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of the book. The tales which Sarah tells makes for a very engaging read and makes it impossible for there to be a dull moment in this book.

Furthermore, at the beginning of this book, Sarah was very closed off and had difficulty trusting people because of all the hardships she had faced which can be very difficult for a thirteen-year-old. However, by the end of this book, we really see that she has blossomed into a more outgoing and lively person. It's nice to see how the book highlights the importance of knowing your identity and where you come from. It is because Sarah has her grandfather in her life she is able to learn about parts of her life and culture that aid in the development of her character. Although this is a work of fiction and magic, there are many aspects of this book that people can relate to and learn from.

All in all, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This was a great read and I didn't find anything that I disliked about this book. I did not find any grammatical errors and it looks as though this book has been professionally edited. There are moments when profanity it used but it is kept to a minimum. This book is best suited for people who enjoy reading about events that took place long ago as well as people who simply enjoy reading about others' adventures. Strong Heart is truly a heartwarming story that I believe most people would enjoy and get a kick out of.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I agree with your points and rating. Nice review !
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you very much for this great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I always appreciate when a book has a touch of magical realism :).
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Sounds like an interesting book right down my alley. Thanks for the great review!
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love the cover of this book. I also love the plot, which is very interesting. I love your review!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I just finished this book myself and agree with your opinion. Great review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

The cover is beautiful. I love how touching the plot is. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”