Official Review: The Fear Doctor by Vincent Stevenson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Fear Doctor by Vincent Stevenson

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fear Doctor" by Vincent Stevenson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever found yourself heavily sweating when you needed to give a speech? I have had this experience multiple times. I remember the first time I was asked to do a song solo. I was so nervous that I wasn't only sweating in the air-conditioned room, I was singing flat and annoyingly off-key. Maybe, if I read The Fear Doctor by Vincent Stevenson, I would have had a better outing.

Vincent is an experienced public speaker, and he has seen all the dynamics of public speaking. With a career spanning over thirty-five years, he has so much to bring to the table. He does an excellent job of putting together a book that helps aspiring and professional public speakers deal with the fear and anxiety that comes with the job. This is a two-part book that teaches both the theoretical and practical aspects of public speaking. In the first part, the author takes the time to deal with the internal battles anyone who does any form of public presentation faces. The second part of the book was more practical as the author takes the reader through a series of exercises, which I will elaborate better in the latter part of this review.

I would recommend this book to people who do public speaking as a career. However, the teachings embedded in it would benefit everyone as we've always been faced with situations where confidence was required to deliver. These situations could be asking your crush out on a date, making an orchestral performance, or presenting a multi-million dollar project proposal to a board of executives.

What I liked most was the conversational writing style the author adopted. There was a sense of calmness and relaxation I felt while reading the book. It was apparent that Vincent had mastered the art of communicating his thoughts in the friendliest way possible. Additionally, the explanations of some concepts were simplistic. I enjoyed his views on the universal laws of public speaking. There was no jargon in the narrative. Hence, the reader wouldn't be overwhelmed by the complexities and technicalities of public speaking. This book was a simple and exciting read.

I liked the practical aspect of this book. There were exercises to help the reader get the hang of the technicalities and theatrics of public speaking. One essential exercise was practicing public speaking to yourself. This involved asking yourself a series of questions to get acquainted with every scenario you'd encounter. Other exercises included posture, breathing, and relaxation. The reader wouldn't be left to themselves, as diagrams were used to illustrate the exercises' effects. The author also provided links to video resources that'd help the reader with vocal preparations.

This was a well-written book that enjoyed professional editing. I have no reason to not give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Fear Doctor
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Public speaking scares the blues out of me. Being an introvert, I have tried my best to avoid situations where I have to speak in public, all my life. But it seems The Fear Doctor may help alleviate my situation. I'd check out this book. Thanks for the insightful review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Public speaking is not an easy task. Having done it, I know it requires confidence. I'd enjoy learning more from Vincent Stevenson. Thank you for your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

"What I liked most was the conversational writing style the author adopted. There was a sense of calmness and relaxation I felt while reading the book. It was apparent that Vincent had mastered the art of communicating his thoughts in the friendliest way possible."

It's always nice to get the feeling that the author is a credible source. This sounds like a useful tool for anyone. At one point or another, we all have to either speak publicly or present ourselves/ideas to someone new. Thank you for the review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Oh my, I so need to read this book! I am a nervous wreck whenever I have to deliver any public presentation, and it is annoying. Being nervous leads to lack of concentration and creates multiple mistakes. Maybe, just maybe, this book can help... I keep my fingers crossed ;)

Thank you for the review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

Sooner or later we all find ourselves in a situation where we have to speak in public. It sounds as though this book can not only help prepare us for that event, but also help us build confidence all round. Wouldn't it be great to feel confident the next time you ask the boss for an increase?
I think this is a skill we all need, and far too little time is spent preparing for it. I love the fact that there are practical exercises here too. Congratulations on BOTD and thanks for a great review.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

No doubt, I need this book.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really appreciated the way you started off with your own story to add momentum. Thanks for the amazing review. I highly need this book.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I wish I knew this book when I took the public speaking class last year. This could have helped me a lot. Thank you for your brilliant review! I'd read this one.
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

If there's one thing I'd love to overcome, it is the fear of public speaking. I've tried, I've read books, I've taken courses. I think I'll just put more efforts into practicing and putting myself in the limelight.
Sabi_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sabi_10 »

I am interested in learning how to be a better public speaker. You did justice to this review. Well done.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The practical aspect of this book, especially the exercises, make it resonate with me. Thank you for your thorough analysis of the book. 💫
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The first question hit right to the spot. I have always marveled at how well public speakers do it. I myself have always been afraid of speaking in public, even engaging a conversation with a fewer group of people gives me a stutter. This book could help me a lot as well as those people who have similar struggle as mine. Great review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't have much opportunity to give speeches or presentations these days. But the author's tips can come in handy when the time comes. I'm glad the book is free.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This is a perfect review. I love public speaking, and I do it quite well. Still, it would be beneficial to get more tips from a veteran such as Vincent while acquiring practical suggestions to impart to those around me. I'll certainly be digesting the book's contents, thanks for sharing!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”