Review by Leen282 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Strong Heart, Charlie Sheldon not only takes us on a hiking trip in a beautiful wilderness park, but he also takes us on a journey by sharing some of the legends of native Americans.

When Tom, his friend William, and William's daughter Myra prepare for a hiking trip to honor Tom's grandfather and tend to his grave, they get interrupted by a knock on Tom's door. His ex-wife is standing there with a teenager who claims she is their granddaughter. The ex-wife tells Tom he now has to take care of the girl, Sarah. Tom does not know how to react to this insolent teenager who starts by insulting his home and living conditions. When William suggests they take Sarah with them on the trip, Tom reluctantly agrees. Sarah is not a fan of this idea, but she has no choice, so she joins the little group of friends, all the while moaning and complaining and being rude.

During the trip, Sarah disappears for eight days, and when they find her again, her entire attitude has changed. She shares her story and the insights she gained into the legends of the natives. To use the author's words, is Tom taking Sarah, or is Sarah taking Tom on a journey?

What I liked most about the book are the beautiful descriptions of nature. I enjoy hiking, discovering parks and mountains, and through the author's stories, I could almost imagine myself being part of Tom's small group. The little drawing around each new chapter's number helps set the scenery. When Sarah started telling her story, I was a little bit bored by the lengthy descriptions and the slow pace. I wanted her to get to the point. By reading further, I realized that her experiences in themselves are the point. Instead of rushing through those chapters, I sat down and relaxed and sampled every word in the context.

While reading this book, I kept changing my mind about the score I would give. It started as a four. When the lengthy descriptions began, I wanted to rate three stars. And then I got into Sarah's story and changed my mind back to four stars. That's my final decision, I am comfortable rating this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommending it to others. As for the audience, I think nature lovers and well as people who enjoy legends will appreciate this book. There are hardly any spelling mistakes. I want to add some caution: the book has descriptive fighting scenes, where humans hurt each other, and where humans and animals fight. There are references to unconsented sexual activity without any details, but it may make some readers uncomfortable.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I love nature and hiking too! I recently read another review about this book, giving only two out of four stars. It also mentioned that the book was a bit boring at times... thanks for giving another point of view, your review was very interesting!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I like the plot of this book. I wonder what happened to change the attitude of Sarah. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I agree with your points. Nice review !
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Great review, I like such plot driven books, I'll consider reading it in the future.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Great review, I like such plot driven books, I'll consider reading it in the future.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I admired the author's ability at integrating two story-lines; a story within a story.
Nice review.
BSM02
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by BSM02 »

Strong heart offer a captivating exploration of personal growth, family dynamics, and the resonance of indigenous wisdom withing a contemporary setting. For readers like me who love and enjoy stories of self discovery, interpersonal relationships, and the intersection of modern life with ancient traditions will find the narrative both engaging and thought-provocking.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”