Official Review: On Swift Wings by Brett M. Wiens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Official Review: On Swift Wings by Brett M. Wiens

Post by Arite Seki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On Swift Wings" by Brett M. Wiens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On Swift Wings by Brett M. Wiens is a fantasy and fiction novel with a satirical style. The title pays homage to Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. Wiens takes an interesting approach and examines the islands visited by Gulliver 300 years later. This novel can be read as a standalone and enjoyed even by those unfamiliar with Jonathan Swift's classic. The novel takes the reader on an adventure split into 6 chapters, and the chapters depict the different islands that the main character finds himself on.

The main character, Cygnus, takes a job as a flight attendant on international flights in a venture to see the world. Even though Cygnus does not believe in luck, it is almost laughable how bad his luck seems to be. He finds himself stranded on various islands and forced to learn new languages and cultural practices for the sake of his survival.

My favourite aspect of this novel was the use of humour and satire to draw attention to important social issues. Wiens draws parallels to our current world and forces us to question them. Each chapter has a lesson that would resonate with any reader. The thoughts raised question our ideas of freedom, morality, accuracy in history and even equality through political policy. I also particularly enjoyed the use of vivid imagery. The author brought to life the various locations within the novel. There was no part of this novel that I disliked as I found it to be an exceptional read.

I give this novel a 4 out of 4 stars rating. It is well-edited with no typographical errors. I found the novel to be particularly impactful as the universality of the subjects seen in the novel suggest that it can be enjoyed by anyone. I found that the use of humour added to the satirical nature of the novel. The circumstances that surrounded the main character could have easily been regarded as a tragedy however, the author used this as an opportunity to shine a light on the commonalities and disparities between the island societies and our current society.

I would recommend this book to audiences looking for a fantasy book with meaning. Young adults and those older would truly learn something from the way that the author frames our current world by contrasting it to the unconventional islands. The social commentary in the novel also makes it appropriate for high school readers despite the more elaborate use of language. Words such as "insalubrious", "oeuvre" and "enumerate" may be challenging for younger readers however, the lessons that would be learnt far outweigh the language difficulties.

On Swift Wings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A satirical read that I will love to indulge myself. Decent review
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I don't really understand the review. I guess I'll take a look at the book to get a better understanding. Thanks for the review.
Arite Seki

Post by Arite Seki »

Chinelookeke wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 15:07 I don't really understand the review. I guess I'll take a look at the book to get a better understanding. Thanks for the review.
That's really unfortunate.
But I definitely recommend taking a look at the book :techie-studyinggray: :D
Arite Seki

Post by Arite Seki »

Dayodiola wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 14:55 A satirical read that I will love to indulge myself. Decent review
Thank you :tiphat:
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the book's reference to Gulliver's Travels which is a book I enjoyed when I was a kid. Thanks for the wonderful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A satirical fantasy story is certainly something I find intriguing, and from what you wrote it's a good one. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title and cover of the book are so gripping. The fact that this book pays a tribute to Swift was interesting. I have read Gulliver's Travels and I am expecting the same thrill from this book.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I really love a good satirical book so I’m sure this is a great book for me. It sounds intriguing. Thanks for a great review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book sounds interesting. I truly enjoyed reading your review! Thanks.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”