Review by Prince Chime -- Creating Literary Stories: A F...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Prince Chime -- Creating Literary Stories: A F...

Post by Prince Chime »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a writer who wants to create great and memorable literary fiction stories that stay popular among future generations? Do you seek to have a long-lasting superlative effect on your readers? Do you want to make the most of every piece you write with the hope to be nominated for a literary award, to say the least? If these and more are your desires as a writer, then, I am glad to let you know that purchasing and completely digesting the contents of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide is a great investment with unmatched potentials to revolutionize your writings, and as a result create the effect you desire on your readers.

From the receiver of 47 awards for his fiction, a finalist in Flannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction, and the William Faulkner Creative Writing Competition William H. Coles comes this concise but yet comprehensive guide for literary fiction writers. In its pages, you will find all that is needed to put together a literary fiction just like the pros. He writes in a manner suitable even for dummies. Like an excellent chef would prepare a delicacy, he systematically unveiled the many elements, components, and features needed to write a masterpiece and showed how they ought to blend nicely when crafting a memorable literary fiction. Little wonder his writings have won him many awards.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide is well-structured as it has two broad sections. Each section contains chapters having titles. Every chapter focuses on one of the various elements needed to develop a literary fiction and further provides insight on how an author should work his way around it. Literary elements like character development, in-scene writing, dialogue, humor, and more were discussed in various chapters. As an example, in chapter two of section one titled “Narration of Literary Stories,” William highlights how to creatively use the various narrative perspective to tell a story. He showed how using the wrong narrative perspective can snuff the life from a scene and decrease reader interest. So, knowing the right narrative perspective to be used in a scene will significantly add to the development of the scene, theme, and plot at large.

The fact that William H. Coles provided only relevant information regarding what he spoke about per time was what I liked the most in the book. It was not verbose. This made me agree that it is a guide indeed and not a textbook. I equally appreciated the fact that he tried not to impose any particular writing style on writers, rather he encouraged writers to develop theirs. He also showed variations to the use of a literary element using short one-paragraph stories. This aided my understanding of how the use of an element in a particular way or another can affect a scene.

There was no mention of profanity, so, this guide is suitable for all and sundry. It seemed professionally edited as I found no error in it despite trying hard to. For this, I give a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars rating. Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide by William H. Coles is highly recommended to all literary fiction writers and prospective writers. It is also a sure guide for anyone who seeks to sharpen their writing skills in general.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

I truly enjoyed reading your review. It really hooked me, and you did a great job explaining how this book is structured. Although I have no intention of writing a novel anytime soon, I would still love to give this book a try as I believe it could be equally interesting to readers, not just writers. Thank you for your review.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I’m reading one of his books and I really like his writing style. Excellent review, I might need to read this next!
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

Reader5698 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 13:46 I truly enjoyed reading your review. It really hooked me, and you did a great job explaining how this book is structured. Although I have no intention of writing a novel anytime soon, I would still love to give this book a try as I believe it could be equally interesting to readers, not just writers. Thank you for your review.
Thanks for your kind words. It is suited for readers as well and not just writers
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

Jyockel08 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 15:25 I’m reading one of his books and I really like his writing style. Excellent review, I might need to read this next!
Thanks so much for your kind words. His books are a plus to readers
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow! It sounds like any writer would be lucky to pick this one up. With tips, tricks and positive advice, how could they not? Thank you for your honest and critical review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

MeganDJ wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 02:23 Wow! It sounds like any writer would be lucky to pick this one up. With tips, tricks and positive advice, how could they not? Thank you for your honest and critical review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
It will be a great asset to every writer. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I look forward to being a writer myself so I think this is a book I'll want to read. Thanks for the insightful review.
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

Slater678 wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 05:16 I look forward to being a writer myself so I think this is a book I'll want to read. Thanks for the insightful review.
You'll find this book to be amazing if writing is what you wanna do
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely and insightful review. Thanks fir your recommendation. I look forward to reading this book.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Dr. Coles' works are always a bomb. Well done!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

This book is a fantastic read for inspiring writers. I'm glad it contains the ultimate skills to help you reach out to your target audience and mesmerize them. Your review was detailed.
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 05:04 Lovely and insightful review. Thanks for your recommendation. I look forward to reading this book.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by..
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

Miks_solon wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 05:51 I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Dr. Coles' works are always a bomb. Well done!
Yes I truly enjoyed it... thanks for stopping by..
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:

Post by Prince Chime »

Fernando222 wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 01:36 This book is a fantastic read for inspiring writers. I'm glad it contains the ultimate skills to help you reach out to your target audience and mesmerize them. Your review was detailed.
Yes it does contain all a writer needs. I've started implementing some of his principles in my Articles...

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”