Review by FawkesThorn -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by FawkesThorn -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

Post by FawkesThorn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles has thirty three short stories, two graphic novels and a novella. This fantastic collection covers everything one is looking for with stories. From heart stopping chase scenes to a devious husband who tries to kill the woman he is supposed to love.
Mr. Coles portrays his characters in the most realistic way, one character that stands out most for me is Didi from Homunculus. She is the perfect example of a woman. She loves and pines for someone who isn’t all too nice and overlooks her, ignoring the perfect match that’s sitting right next to her.

There is always something in the stories that pulls at your heart, from bonds between parent and child to horrific escape. The one that really tore at mine was Suchin’s Escape, the poor girl tried so hard to get free but her end was way too sad for me, I couldn’t imagine ever being in that predicament.

Mr. Cole’s writing in this collection has a lead up and get the point kind of feel leaving a cliffhanger at the end. With Didi in Homunculus, she wakes up in the middle of the night to her friend missing and the story ends. Leaving the questions: What happened to Rudy? Will he return? Did he run away, like he said he would? Or did something bad happen to him? I like stories that have the ending tied up but Mr. Cole kept me reading from the beginning with Catherine to the end with Carrie.

I enjoyed the illustrations at the beginning of each story and the graphic novels. Each picture tells its own story within the tale and gives you a glimpse of what is ahead. The two graphic novels are retellings of two of the short stories Homunculus and Reddog both really entertaining stories.

Sister Carrie is the short story at the end of this collection. With the sudden loose of their parents Carry and her siblings must learn to cope with life. The story follows Carry as she and her sister Jessie (who took over raising her) go on their own unpredictable paths. Carry finding love right away and Jessie being lonely, trying to find the right path.

Illustrated Short Fiction is an interesting and well done work of art that allowed me to understand a more diverse group of people. With some errors here and there, I will rate this at a 3 out of 4 starts. The errors are very far and few in between that they really are not noteworthy.

Overall, I would recommend this to adults only who don’t get offended easily due to the graphic violence and sexual nature included.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like FawkesThorn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Thank you for your review. Which story did you love?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Such an excellent review!! Thank you so much!!
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

An excellent review! I found the stories compelling and surreal.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”