Official Review: Six Months (Second Edition)

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Six Months (Second Edition)

Post by spencermack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Six Months (Second Edition)" by Joshua Spencer.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six Months (Second Edition) by Joshua Spencer tells the story of a young couple, Jo and Joline, who struggle to settle family disputes in order to live a life of happiness. Jo and Joline have reconnected through social media and have begun a relationship. However, Jo is a good friend of Joline’s former husband. Joline’s former in-laws, lead by Aunt Jay, begin to spread nasty rumours about Jo in hopes that Joline will end this relationship.

Spencer deals with many themes in this book, such as family drama, controversial love, and the blend of imagination and reality. Through the use of Aunt Jay as the antagonist, new love is impossible to find for Joline. She is bound to her old family regardless of her desires. The author also tries to play with the idea of dreams vs reality. Many events are described as reality, but in the last second, it is a dream - or is it? There is a lot of confusion about actual events in the narrative and what the characters dream about. The characters and the audience are never given a clear answer about if moments in the book are real or if it is simply Joline going crazy and thinking she is living in a dream world.

I like that the author uses the experience from their past and brings them into the narrative. Spencer explains that he has dual citizenship with Canada and Jamaica. Jamaica is the setting for the majority of this book. However, the author does not use the natural beauty of the country in the story. I think this is a missed opportunity to bring culture and land into a personified role of the story. I strongly disliked how the author organized their ideas for the book. The plot is confusing and has no real flow or logical order. The sentence structure was choppy and often had to be re-read for clarification. The author attempts grand and artsy descriptions, but they come off as clumsy and unnecessary. These over the top metaphors and similes often distract from the main point of the sentence. I also found copious amounts of grammatical errors that interfered with the meaning of the text.

Due to the above reasons, I am rating Six Months (Second Edition) by Joshua Spencer 1 out of 4 stars. I appreciate the author trying to bring their past into the story. However, the plot is wildly confusing and the writing is sloppy. I hope the author can go back into their work and improve the main ideas and practice new writing techniques that offer flow to the prose.

At the moment I would not recommend this book to any reader. That being said, the author has begun to work with strong themes in this book. I think Joshua Spencer could be an author for romance fans to look out for in the near future.

Six Months (Second Edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Spencer Mack
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the family oriented theme amidst turmoil explored by the author. Thanks for the insightful and honest review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

It seems there is a strong concept behind this book, but the author failed to execute it well. Thanks for the honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

Slater678 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 03:34 I like the family oriented theme amidst turmoil explored by the author. Thanks for the insightful and honest review.
I also admire that theme that was included but I still hope for future improvements to the book because the novel has such a strong idea.
Miss_chiege
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Miss_chiege »

I really loved the idea of the couple meeting on the social media but the story is not coordinated as the reviewer had said.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

"Hate is stronger where there has been Love" Will Jo survive the issues. Would be a great read if not for the numerous dents. Nice review
Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Carennkemdiala »

I love your honest review. For me, the mere fact that the author was unable to address which events were real (actual) or just wild dreams by the characters (especially Joline) is a total turn off for me.

I think the ploy to keep the reader in suspect without leaving certain clues for better understanding is unnecessary.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The plot had great potential but looks like the author lacked in the execution. Appreciate the honest review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Slater678 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 03:34 I like the family oriented theme amidst turmoil explored by the author. Thanks for the insightful and honest review.
I agree, thanks for commenting! :D
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Elvis Best wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 11:14 It seems there is a strong concept behind this book, but the author failed to execute it well. Thanks for the honest review.
100% correct. Decent idea, poor writing. Thanks for your honest comment!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Gift Nwagu wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 13:54
I also admire that theme that was included but I still hope for future improvements to the book because the novel has such a strong idea.

Improvements are needed immediately. Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Miss_chiege wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 14:25 I really loved the idea of the couple meeting on the social media but the story is not coordinated as the reviewer had said.
Ya, they meet on social media, but they knew each other in the past. It's a clunky meet-cute. Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Dayodiola wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 19:25 "Hate is stronger where there has been Love" Will Jo survive the issues. Would be a great read if not for the numerous dents. Nice review
I'm not sure about great, but most certainly better.
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Carennkemdiala wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 23:58 I love your honest review. For me, the mere fact that the author was unable to address which events were real (actual) or just wild dreams by the characters (especially Joline) is a total turn off for me.

I think the ploy to keep the reader in suspect without leaving certain clues for better understanding is unnecessary.
Just a poorly executed book from start to finish. Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack
spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Usma Khann wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 00:08 The plot had great potential but looks like the author lacked in the execution. Appreciate the honest review.🌸
I appreciate the honest comment! :tiphat:
Spencer Mack

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”