Official Review: The Good Ship by Jeremy M. Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: The Good Ship by Jeremy M. Wright

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Good Ship" by Jeremy M. Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While traveling on the open ocean with her father and brother, young Annabelle is suddenly tossed into a mysterious world of ominous creatures where time seems to stand still. Here, the children teach her the rules of the island and warn her about the elusive Jade Army and Simora, who rules the island through intimidation and fear. The children spend their days eluding the island’s evil entities and working on an elaborate plan to one day escape the island, rescue the lost ones, and return home. Annabelle faces a dilemma; if she follows the rules, the chances of seeing her family again are minimal, and if she challenges the evil forces, she risks the safety of all the children on the island.

The Good Ship, by Jeremy M. Wright, is written for young adults. The first thing that came to mind when reading this novel is that it reminded me of other stories written by authors like C.S. Lewis, William Golding, and Michael Ende, where characters are transported into other worlds, encounter danger, and fight evil. What makes this story different from others are the sensory descriptions of the setting and the detailed introspect of the protagonist. These descriptions are told from the perspective of a young teenager, and the descriptions realistically reflect what a person that age would notice, such as the “mystical fortress of huts” high above the ground and the “hypnotic dances of light” on the water. The thoughts and feelings of the protagonist are also depicted in a way that I believe a child that age would express.

The energy of the plot did not wane from the beginning to the end, and I read through each chapter anxious to find out what would happen next. A pleasing balance of characterization and action with more than a sprinkling of twists and turns, this story would be a good model text for students in elementary or middle school. Many elements of good writing are displayed throughout the book, making it an excellent reference for students to learn about literary devices such as imagery, tone, and mood.

I happily give The Good Ship 4 out of 4 stars because of the writing techniques described above. The book is exceptionally well edited, with only a couple of very minor errors. There was nothing about the book that I disliked, and I can easily see this used as required reading in a middle school English class, a read aloud for elementary students, and perhaps even as a movie. As discussed above, young students need a myriad of examples of good literature as they begin to develop their unique preferences in reading and explore various themes and writing styles.

I recommend this book to all readers. Although the book would be most enjoyed by younger readers, I believe it will be thoroughly enjoyed by people of all ages. If you are looking for light reading that has a touch of fantasy, a little humor, and a lot of action, this book is for you. If you are looking for a realistic, in-depth book that explores survival techniques, you may be disappointed in the child-like perspective and limited depth of the plot that characterizes stories meant for younger audiences. For all others, this is a wonderful escape into a book that challenges the imagination and evokes feelings of wonder.

The Good Ship
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I like how the enemy of the plot does not wane throughout the book. Thanks for the insightful review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I'm a 50 year old young adult and many of my favorite book are found on the YA section in the book store. Your review makes me want to check this one out. There is a clear premise and potential for a great adventure tale. Thanks!
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

A book like this from the mindset of a teenager is definitely a good recommendation for children in middle school as it would educate them a lot. Nice review.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a great book, especially with such a high-energy plot. Thank you for your great review!
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

This sounds like an interesting read. I wish to know the decision Annebelle took. Great review
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

This sound like 'children book' to me, all in all, it would be great for young adults also. Nice review
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

There are few authors who can wade into the deep pool that is young adults literature in the spirit of C.S.Lewis. Jeremy M. Wright sounds like he has what it takes to lead readers on a fantastical adventure through worlds unknown. Thank you for the interesting and well written review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This kind of reminds of Chronicles of Narnia. I loved those books, I think I’d love this too.
Great review.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

Books that invoke my imagination help me to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. If the storyline and plot set in this book can be compared to titles from C.S. Lewis then this is definitely a good read.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Glad to know about the wonderful writing techniques. Thanks for the review.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

and I read through each chapter anxious to find out what would happen next.
Seems this book has no dull moment. Thanks for a concise review.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

This is definitely going on my list. Thank you for the incredible review!
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

Action, humor, and fantasy. This is definitely my kind of book. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”