Review by ThePlotDemandsIt -- Burn Zones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ThePlotDemandsIt
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theplotdemandsit.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by ThePlotDemandsIt -- Burn Zones

Post by ThePlotDemandsIt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge Newbery’s Burn Zone is an autobiographical roller coaster. Upon reading it, I can’t help but give it a 4 out of 4 stars because Newbery shows again and again throughout his life story just how up and down this ride of life can be, and, most importantly, how we can keep going up when we hit the bottom.

Starting with his experiences even as a child, we follow Newbery as he not only tries, but succeeds in many lifestyles and entrepreneurships. It is incredibly remarkable to read about not only how he does so, but the challenges he faces and the things he learns from each experience. One of my favorite moments at the beginning is when buys an ice cream bike and starts selling ice cream! At age 11! Unlike other autobiographies I have attempted to read in the past have nothing on Newbery’s engaging narrative that completely surpassed any expectations I had upon reading the book—not to mention he keeps it entertaining even when another might have found his story to be a bore.

All in all, what a gem! This is truly one of those books that is a diamond in the rough. Some of the things I struggled to read in this book are when he talks about more of his financial situation and mortgages which I was less familiar with the technical side of. While I may not have completely understood some of what was going on though, my favorite part of this book continued to keep me on the edge of my seat. Newbery’s writing. It is such a refreshing read, and his personality shines through the pages, making me interested in him and the things he has learned rather than dwelling on those things I may not have fully understood.

While I joined the roller coaster with Newbery every moment of this book, that doesn’t mean everyone one will feel the same. This book feels best suited for an adult audience as it deals greatly with financial struggles and jumping different jobs. From an adult pool, however, I feel as though anyone could find themselves entranced just as I did by this exceptional story.

As I stated before, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it completely surpassed my expectations. It felt professionally edited other than a couple errors. While there wasn’t much language used, there were some f-bombs, mostly quoting songs or another person. Despite that, this story of another person’s life truly gives perspective on my own and was just as exciting as any fiction novel. I hope you’ll give it a chance!

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”