Official Review: Death Never Says Goodbye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Death Never Says Goodbye

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Never Says Goodbye" by John Worsley Simpson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death Never Says Goodbye is a fast-paced novel in which John Worsley Simpson ingeniously combines elements of the thriller and crime fiction genres. Essentially a book about a woman’s disappearance, it quickly qualifies for an addictive type of reading since you cannot stop turning the pages to find out what really happened to her. A completely unpredictable twist halfway through the book makes you question everything you previously believed and sets the scene for an even more unexpected development of the plot.

On March 27, Liam Hudson goes to the police station to report that his wife Rebecca has vanished without a trace from the Bennett Mall in the Buffalo suburb of Williamsville, New York. A reticent sergeant wonders if she has not simply walked out on Liam. However, the latter is convinced she must have been abducted because they are newlyweds and madly in love with each other.

A frantic husband starts his own investigation on the disappearance of the woman he proposed to on the fourth day of their relationship. He soon realizes how little he actually knows about his wife. As owner of Medic-Right, a medical-equipment supply company, Liam discovers that Rebecca also worked for a successful drug company in Cleveland. He hopes that his meeting with Carl Gleason, the director of human relations at Dexter Pharmaceuticals will answer many of his questions about Rebecca’s past. Contacted by Deputy Marshals from the Witness Security Program and chased by the Russian mob, the American businessman needs to make use of his Navy Seal training in order to survive and get to the bottom of the whole affair.

What I liked most about this novel is the way the author skillfully plays with the readers’ expectations. Rebecca and Liam’s story abounds in lots of action and suspense. When millions of dollars are at stake, everything moves on to the next level. Pigmented with all sorts of lies and tricks, the book reveals the chilling side of the Big Pharma industry whose major players would stop at nothing for huge profits. Flashbacks set a few months, days, or hours prior to the main events constantly thwart the readers’ suppositions about the characters’ intentions.

Although the narrative perspective mostly focuses on Liam, it also changes and builds interesting background stories for other characters like Rebecca, Deputy Marshal Tony Reynolds, Carl Gleason, Howard Dexter, or Alexei Fyodorov. Liam Hudson is not a detective per se, but his wisecracking, tough attitude is reminiscent of Raymond Chandler’s famous private eye, Philip Marlowe. Unwillingly caught in a deadly game, he proves extremely resourceful and does not shy away from violence to settle the score in his favor. The same as Marlowe, he firstly gives the impression that he could be fooled by the machinations of the so-called “femmes fatales.” In time, he needs to figure out whether Rebecca is a highly manipulative and calculated woman or a victim of the circumstances.

John Worsley Simpson manages to keep his readers tuned in for various reasons. I particularly enjoyed his attention to details reflected by his minute descriptions of minor characters or the intertextual references to well-known books and movies. For example, the verbal exchanges between Liam and security guard Beavis or Sergeant Grippano are plainly hilarious: “I’ve called home. I’ve called her cellphone. No answer.” Beavis leaned back, putting his hands behind his head. “Well, I don’t know. I guess maybe you should call the cops. I don’t know.” (p. 2) In another scene, Gleason reminds Hudson of “a duplicitous Jack Nicholson.” (p. 99) Afraid for his life, Gleason himself wonders if he will have “to live like a Conrad character deep in some bug-infested jungle, starting at every twig twist?” (p. 221)

I am recommending this novel to fans of hard-boiled crime fiction. The use of profane language makes it unsuitable for a younger audience. There are no explicitly sexual scenes; the violence ones fit the storyline and are not gruesome at all. I am rating Death Never Says Goodbye 3 out of 4 stars because of the editing errors and the much too sudden ending. Another round of proofreading could fix the less than 20 punctuation and grammar mistakes which I have noticed. As far as the ending is concerned, I was a bit disappointed as it came too abruptly and lacked the elaboration the author got me used to throughout the novel. Others might enjoy it, though, especially considering that it is in tune with the title. Due to the overall favorable impression of the author’s style, I would like to try some of the other crime fiction novels written by John Worsley Simpson.

Death Never Says Goodbye
View: on Bookshelves
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an engaging crime thriller that has a strong psychological element. With another round of editing it could be fantastic. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

This is a mystery-gripping novel. Awesome review
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

What a skillfully written review! Thank you so much! :) This is now on my shelf and I cannot wait to find time for it :D
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Awesome review! This seems like an interesting and exciting book to read!
Masereka Jehold
Currently Reading: Contagion Domination
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Masereka Jehold »

The review is very enticing and suspense encrypted. It is amazing for a disappearance of such description! Wonderful review.
Masereka Jehold
Currently Reading: Contagion Domination
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Masereka Jehold »

It is fascinating of the emphasis on death never says good bye . There must be something more to learn.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book was intriguing. The book seems to have all elements that a suspense thriller needs. Good story and amazing ideation.
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Siriusly_blank »

A compelling read loaded with every element of suspense , thrill , mystery , fear and dark plots. The title itself is bewitching enough to entrap the reader's interest , the story is even better. I would strongly this book to whomsoever.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”