Official Review: Blue Screen by Kyle Benzle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: Blue Screen by Kyle Benzle

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blue Screen" by Kyle Benzle.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you came home from work and sat down to check the internet. Your screen displayed an emergency message telling you to stay inside and secure your house. Then an error message appeared saying the system was shutting down and collecting data for a crash dump. Soon, the electricity goes out and everything with batteries or computer chips stops working.

This is the opening scene of Blue Screen by Kyle Benzle. The story is set in a near-future where technology is slightly more advanced than now. The main character, Peter, fears it is some sort of attack using an EMP. His parents, however, decide to just wait and see if everything gets resolved. Despite the fact that the electric is still not on the next day, they catch a ride to work with a neighbor who owns an old, classic car, and send Peter to school. The school is closed, but Peter manages to sneak in and find a working computer. The computer addresses him by name and tells him to come to a nearby Telecommunications Station. Thus begins Peter’s adventure to find out and fix whatever is happening to his world.

The premise of the book is pretty intriguing. I was impressed with how much history the author built into the book. There are footnotes about a war that happened and how the current internet-type system got set up. The author also obviously has a thorough understanding of technology himself. The explanations are sometimes complex. However, this also created my least favorite parts of the book. It got too into the nitty-gritty of systems and needed more character building. Early in the story, all the characters have similar temperaments. Some characters have backstories while others are flat. The story also seems to struggle for identity. It has elements of mystery and sci-fi with an attempt at romance all wrapped in dystopian. Altogether, it just did not grab me. There was a pretty great twist near the end, but I don’t know if I would have read that far if I was not reading it to do a review.

The book is about teenagers, but I could see it in adult or young adult literature. There is one scene where a character gets shot, but it is not graphic. Also, there is profanity, so it is not recommended for anyone who prefers not to read that type of language. I think science fiction fans with a pretty good understanding of technology would enjoy this book. However, the book does not seem to be professionally edited. I found three comma errors in the first ten pages and numerous other errors throughout the book.

Overall, I would give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. It has a promising plot and a great reveal in the last half, so it is worth more than one point. However, the editing errors and the lack of character development keep me from giving it a three.

Blue Screen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Grace Macharia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-macharia.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Grace Macharia »

Such an honest review. Thank you for elaborating what to expect in the story so we're not set up for disappointment later. Awesome review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Too many errors and flat characters sound really discouraging. Thank you for this honest review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel very focused on its technical elements that overlooked character development and some parts of the plot. Possibly an editor could help the author in the novel development. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This novel has an interesting and innovative premise. Too bad the author didn't develop it well. With characters lacking background and unique personalities, this book doesn't seem attractive to me. I think I'll pass it now. Thanks for the honest review!
Prachi Randeria
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi-randeria.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Prachi Randeria »

Thanks for the honest review. The book does have an interesting premise but a lack of character development can be quite discouraging.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I find it important to have well-developed characters to read about. This book seems promising if those problems were fixed. Thanks for an amazing review!
Swidoh97
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Swidoh97 »

It sounds interesting. I yearn to know more about the plot and main actions .thanks.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I don't know that I would be level headed in such a situation, but I do know I would also go to a place where I know there would be internet access. The computer thing is believable but it's a pity the book is so flawed.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I like sci-fi, but not if the characters are boring. Sounds like an imaginative base for a story that could really be interesting if the author works on character and plot development a little more. Thanks for the informative and honest review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Miss_chiege
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Miss_chiege »

Honestly speaking, I would be scared if I am in such a position. I wouldn't even know what to do. This is an awesome review.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The premise had great potential but looks like the author lacked in the execution department. Appreciate the honest review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Wow! That sounds like a fun read. I always wonder how the world would be like when everything is snapped all of a sudden. The world will come to an undesirable halt. Thanks for the review.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Technology advancement sounds cool. Thanks for the good review though I would love to read it to have a better understanding.
Breanamuirr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Breanamuirr »

The plot reminds me of a tv show named frequency it seem basic!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”